cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier choices with SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends,

i currently work as a pl/sql developer in an mnc from past 2 years and this is my first job. i want to become a part of the SAP family. After some discussion and suggestion with my friends i came to know about SAP HANA. i am totally confused with carrier choices from variety of SAP products i think i can work on based on my current experience.

so the question is what path should i chose further following are some options that i have in mind from suggestions by friends and after searching on net.

1> get certified on PL/SQL then go for SAP BO/SAP BI/SAP HANA.

2>go for direct SAP HANA certification.

do i need to do pl/sql certification for any of this and which one should i go for from these if doing more than 1 or all of these certifications in coming some years time one by one  what should be my path like starting from which should i go forward and then next certification out of above and next so on. if their is any other great option to enhance my carrier please do suggest.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

SAP HANA is much more than a DB. So the direct certification of SAP HANA might be a difficult option.

Also SQL is integral part of SAP HANA but it uses an extended SQL known as SQLScript. So I am not sure whether the just PL/SQL certification will help with BO/BI (here certainly it will not help) or even HANA (might help to some extent).

In plain language BO is a set of graphical tools used to get data out of different data sources. BI is also a tool of the same sort, but this is integrated powerfully with SAP R/3 and enhancements are done using ABAP code(Not PL/SQL ).

I would suggest you to start exploring SAP HANA and undergo training if required provided by SAP here at training.sap.com(Training costs a fortune). Alternatively you can start with the openSAP course at open.sap.com(This offers a free course ).

This will help you get ready for the certification and take it up after some time.

--Shreepad

manianls10
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest you to take up SAP BI if your inclination is towards building analytic career. I would rather not advise you to take up SAP HANA. HANA is an in memory database solution for Analytics. Currently there are few customers who are implementing SAP HANA and would not consider consultants with less experience. Since you have PL/SQL Knowledge it would be easier for you to pick up SAP BI skills and move to SAP HANA later. Moreover you would also have a good understanding about SAP Product ecosystem and technology around the solutions as you learn about SAP.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Manian LS

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

Good to hear that you want to join SAP family.It is always good to learn new technology in rapid changing and developing world.

If You want to enter in sap , I would suggest please try to find out some project which provide you start point to enter in SAP .

And in case of certification if you are entering in sap so PL/SQL certification not required.

You can  start learning SAP HANA by your own find some project and then go for certification.

Because direct HANA certification / or any SAP certification is costly .

You can check below link for more info about HANA

http://scn.sap.com/message/13955292

Best Regards,

Atul

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

There is no need for PL/SQL certification.

You can directly go for HANA Certification, but going for HANA Certification you will need hands on experience in HANA, while preparing for HANA Certification you will have to do reporting also and that time you can learn SAP BO.

Secondly, it will be better if you learn BODS as it is one of the methods to get data into HANA.

Learning BI is not required to learn HANA, if needed you can learn BI but you will use your HANA skills in this case only when you will work with BW on HANA.(BW On HANA is not a part of HANA Certification)

So i would suggest you to start learning HANA, then when you start Data Provisioning in HANA, that time learn BODS and then when you will start Reporting, learn BO.

After this you can appear for HANA Certification.

To know more and get learning materials, you can check my blog.

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/hana/blog/2013/06/25/want-to-learn-sap-hanawhere-to-st...

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patil,

According to your situation, if want to study new technology and challenge, then you can get certification of sap Hana firstly, maybe near future, sap BW will be intergrated to sap hana platform,due to performance. Beside, you have SQL basic knowledge, so you can easy to learn sap hana, firstly you can use free trail environment to research and study.

Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Jerry