Business expenses booked in to closed period

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Does any body know how to solve this issue:

every business expense which is being booked into a closed period

(i.e. business expenses from 2012 entered in 2013) are currently not posted as

the period is closed.

in my oppinion it shouldn't be possible since this will ressult in retrospective recalculation if i'm not mistaken.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Problem is though that the closing of the period is done in FI rather than Travel so it can happen that this is closed AFTER trip settlement, hence building in that check would be rather difficult! 

The posting date from which the posting period is derived is already saved in PTRV_DOC_HD.

The option would be re-open the period and reverse the run or manually post the documents but take a look at note 1773055 as this function has been enhanced so that now only the documents are reversed, which contain trips which are also part of not posted documents. So e.g. if a run contains 100 posted documents and 1 unposted. The trip contained in the unposted document is also part of 1 of the posted documents. Now reversion only reverses this 1 document and not all 100.

Hope it helps!

Sally

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sally,

thank you for your answer

regards

Miroslav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Miroslav,

Two things you need to be aware of:

1) Accounting doesn't know retroactivity (business constraint - not SAP constraint)

2) Difference between document date (can be any period) and posting date (needs to be current period)

It is absolutely normal that many expense receipts are captured after the period is closed. Opening the period is not always possible and almost never practical.

The normal practise is to select the following options on the selection screen for creating the posting document (hudden under button "General trip data"):

1) get document date frim trip data - usually expense receipt date, but sometimes also trip end date.

2) use current day for posting date or give different date for posting date in line with open period (most notably, when in period 13 or higher)

That'll always work and seems widely accepted by accountants.

By the way: you do the same with retros in payroll. Retroactive changes in old periods are always posted in current period. It's not even easy to spot, unless you use a BAdI to indicate the original period in the position text.

Hope this helps

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

thank you for you'r answer

sorry for the late reaction i was on vacation ...

the problem is if i have a BT which is in the closed period but i try to settle (do a possting run)  it in the current perion i still get an error message(rejected trips)  in transaction  PREC ... if i do it manually and change the trip dates to the next period every thing works fine .... but what i would like to have is that an expemnse claim can by created by the user with the original dates. After approval, the posting date can be then be 01.01. of the current year.

thank you

Miroslav