cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Content Server centralisation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Content server guru's 😉

at my company we have 5 content servers scattered over the globe.(locally installed at the sites)

We now would like to centralise these (locally installed) content servers to the datacenter and make use of Cache servers on site.

We however have some questions about this process, and not a lot of relevant information can be found on the net.

The first time a ( example 50mb CAD) file is created it will still have to travel over the WAN to the CS in the DC.

The first time it is opened it has to travel over the WAN to the cache server.

Is this correct ?

Impact on the WAN will depend on the size of the documents. Is there a way to list the file sizes of the files in the current CS databases ?

Any other pitfalls or remarks you can think of ?

Thank you very much
Hans

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member561828
Participant
0 Kudos

We have pursed a similar strategy for content servers, consolidating from 4 CS spread out by sites, to 1 central CS.  During the process we also want to retire older CS running MaxDB and switch to using FileSystemStore, which we feel is easier to manage, backup and control.

We have deployed Riverbed systems worldwide as a standard for caching.  As I'm aware, other companies using SAP and CS have followed similar strategy.  Riverbed support multiple solutions for caching a wide range of application data and can impact latency also.

We leveraged SAP report RSIRPIRL (SAP Note 389366) and the DATUM selection to convert documents to new CS.  Using DATUM allows for managing the number for files originals migrated at one time, thru allowing us to manage impact to the network. (usually we performed conversion during off-hours).  Another advantage of RSIRPIRL is minimum impact to production - it can be used in a "live" system.

Regarding your specific questions:

1) - you are correct in the understanding.

2)  A simple join between the listed tables provided a means of reporting.  It can also report on the file original size you need.

DMS_PH_CD1 - DMS_DOC2LOIO - DMS_PHF_CD1

We aware that, if your using CS compress, the file space on the CS will be less then reported.

3) RSIRPIRL generally works as expected and, as outlined with DATUM selection, there are some controls over scope of data conversion.

We have open issue with RSIRPIRL right now regarding a limited case where some file originals do not get converted.  The report returns "Document has no content".  However, on evaluation shows the file original to be correct and valid.  We are looking for SAP assistance on this 1 issue now.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

SSB
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Hans,

I am not a content server Expert, But I have worked on it a little and as I know,

1)   The file will be copied to Cache Server when it is accessed from the corresponding location.

2)  to list the documents with Size, There is no utility in SAP Content Server, If you are using MAX DB you have to execute DB query  to get the list, As I know this is not possible with file storage

Regards

Sagar S Bhide