Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Material Movement in Warehouse

ruturaj
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

We have a business scenario wherein it is required to restrict movement of goods from one Storage Type or Storage Section to another. This is required in order to allow storage of dangerous goods only in designated storage type and sections.

For e.g. Acid materials must be stored in section designated for acids, Base materials must be stored in section designated for bases and so on.

As a result, material movement during goods receipt or internally within warehouse using TO must not be allowed:
1) from Storage Type A for dangerous goods to Storage Type B for non-dangerous goods

and
2) within Storage Type A from Storage Section A1 for Acids to Storage Section A2 for Bases

I want to know whether any standard SAP configuration can handle this situation.

Please note that we do not have Hazardous Material Management in place.

Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I am certain it can be done without Hazardous Material Management in place, I did it in my very first WM project

It was a work for many weeks, to classify each and every product on paper to identify which material must not be stored together with what other material. Where is it allowed to be stored in which storage unit type

And I am glad I had a warehouse manager who quickly understood the concept of SAP WM was open minded as well to accept that certain things are not possible and so we worked together for many weeks to set this WM up for about 1000 different chemicals in 14 storage types, 11 storage bin types with 18 storage section indicators.

We had to use storage type search, storage section search and storage bin type search together to make it work.  We did not use storage class and Water pollution class in our strategy, this was already covered with the storage section indicators.

ruturaj
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jurgen L,

Thanks for your inputs. Would you please elaborate on the solution? It would be helpful if you have any document to share.

I already have Storage Type and Storage Section searches in place. However, one immediate problem I have encountered here is that it is possible to make an internal warehouse bin to bin movement from dangerous to non-dangerous goods storage type. Based on your input above, I will try to apply Storage Bin Type search additionally to check if this can be resolved.

Please share any config docs (if possible) which can help me in this exercise.

Thanks.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot share any documents, even I developed it, it automatically becomes ownership of my company. Sharing those documents would be a violation of our policies and my contract.

And explaining a multi week work in a few lines here is impossible.

It were definetly the storage sections that we used to categorize the materials and bins to store materials which msut not be stored together apart from each other

Answers (0)