cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner PI question

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am abapper and now trying to get into PI for the first time. In this light I apologise in advance for my rather basic/stupid question.

I have found various links on PI and read through them and also clicked around on our PI 7.1 system to see the current landscape settings, and to find where the data is stored and mapped etc. This is the current level I am on, I have not created any links between systems or anything.

Currently I have an opportunity to set up a link to a third party and to transfer files to them. I am wanting to know where to start and a high level process of the steps I should take.

I have the server details to where the files should be deployed. On my system we have to pick up the files from the sap server (AL11) and send them to this server. There is no mapping requirements or any format changes, i.e. the program I wrote to generate the file and send to AL11 takes care of everything. In PI I simply need to pick this csv file up and send it to the 3rd party server in csv format so I am hoping it is quite straight forward.

The server details I have received from the 3rd party stipulate that this is for Production files, so I suppose the first place to start is to find out if the test files from DEV and later QA system should be sent to same server?

Any advice is really greatly appreciated. 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

welcome to PI

yes you can use PI to transfer the file from ECC file system to the third party server with out any modification in the file. you no need to touch the Design part, we need to complete config in PI.

the server details you have received from the third party is for production system but you wanted to do the tesing before you configure in the production PI system. pls follow the below steps

Step 1:- Create a test file in ECC test system from the abap program you wrote

step 2- you can pick that file from test ECC system by Test XI system

step 3:- request firewall/network team open the firewall from test XI system to thirdparty system

step4:- Complete the config in test XI system to send the file from test XI system to third party system

Step 5:- if the above steps successful then request thirdparty to delete the test files from their system and request firewall team to open the firewall from prod PI system to thirdparty system and complete the same PI config in prod PI system

Cheers,

Hidayat

former_member194612
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

If you find time,read blog http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41766 worthful.

Thanks,

Satish

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your invaluable help.

Glen

0 Kudos

hi,

you are sending CSV file to third party system i.e your requirement .

no need to create ERS design objects  you can create only ID object  in ID part create two communication channel and one ICO is required. other than nothing its very simple.

its same as file to file

Thanks

srikanth

former_member194612
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You should be careful as you said ,you are dealing with Production files.Being a fresher in SAP PI this is not advisable.As you said try hands-on from Dev to Quality , file communications are happening or not ? try little R&D ..If you want to do small file-to-file scenario follow below link

http://ijunglee.com/entries/blog/simple-file-to-file-scenario-in-sap-pi

Thanks,

Satish

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am working only on Dev at moment and want to send the files from our Dev server, as a test, to their Prod server.

Thank you for the link.

javier_alcubilla
Contributor
0 Kudos