cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSS Note Question - How are objects mapped to Primary Components?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In trying to better understand the impact of the application of an OSS Note (and ultimately Support Packs) to our system, we are analyzing the Primary Component value from the Header Data section of the OSS Note (and the Application Component Hierarchy for Support Packs). Can anyone explain how an object is assigned to a Primary Component on an OSS Note? I ask because when working backwards on my system, and taking an object in question from an OSS note, I can get to the object's Package (Dev Class), And then find the Package in the systems Application Hierarchy (SE81). And, the results differ from how SAP has "mapped" the object.

Here's an example (4.7 system; 6.20 BASIS)- The object RKCDFILEINCFOR exists in Package (Dev Class) BKD. Package BKD exists in component CA-GTF-TS in the Application Hierarchy on our system. However, that same object's Primary Component from an OSS note is CO-PA-TO.

This discrepancy is important to us as the group who would review possible impact of a Note is going to be assigned by this relationship. Do we use the SAP assignment from the OSS note or the assignment we get based on the object's Package?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

scott

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have the feeling, this is a wrong approach. I just had this morning an OSS-note with a basis change related to enhancements. But because the actual impact was in a SD application of the one, who found this issue, the area was totally different.

Also you will likely combine at least a small couple of packages before doing the upgrade-> the total number of included notes is easily over 10 000. Do you really want to check this note by note?? I would rather define a basis set of business cases and procedures, test, if these are still possible to create / book in the system with the same expected results and that's it.

Regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I'm sorry for my delayed reply as I was out of the office for a period.

And, thanks for taking the time to respond!

You are correct that we don't want to review each note in a support pack. However, we are interested in using the higher level component categories (LO, PA, PP, etc...) to "assign" potentially impacted modules to thread leads within our organization so that they can better determine the impact to their areas of expertise from the application of a Support Pack. I don't believe they'll need to drill into each note simply because we're not using all the provided functionality in each module. I suppose if they wish to review every note however, that is their prerogative.

Does this make sense? And, if so, can you see why we are interested in understanding how an object from a given note is assigned to a component in the Business Hierarchy? If you agree with this approach (even somewhat), I would expect the mapping of an object's Package (Dev Class) in our Business Hierarchy (TCODE SE81) would match the Primary Component value from the OSS Note containing the same object. And unfortunately, this doesn't always appear to be the case. Therefore, back to my original question, how is the value for an object's Primary Component assigned in OSS when the object occurs in an OSS note?

Thanks again for taking the time to consider and respond to this question.

Regards,

Scott Shafer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

from my opinion, it should (in most cases) be as you say - oss component = devclass.

but as far as I know, the oss component can be changed manually by the developers, and in some cases, this really makes sense.... I think there will be no definitive answer for your question - maybe the functions in SolMan will sove this, but I'm not sure about...

Kind regards,

Carl