cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Installation with no SAPinst

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read the instruction I downloaded from market. I also read it on internet. Both of sites say I have to run SAPinst to install related products before I move to next step, which install entire product, Solution Manager 7.1. However, I didn't see this executable file. I am wondering where I can find it and then install it. I had already followed the steps I found on internet, but I didn't discover it in DVD even the file I downloaded from SAP market.

So, how do I install SAPinst? Or how do I install Solution Manager 7.1 without SAPinst?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

I am not sure what is the content you got from internet, we have open guide in

service.sap.com, follow the link

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000735220&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&

you can get the dvds here

service.sap.com/swdc -> installation and upgrades -> A-Z -> S->SAP Solution manager

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi

I read them too, but I still confuse. Also, I downloaded the DVDs from where you mentioned the path. I never see SAPinst. I am wondering if I have to install this executable file first or not. If so, where can I get this executable file? Would you mind telling me which link I should click in "Installation Using SW Prov. mgt."? I also read the guide, Ins SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR Windows-Sybase ASE, coming from "Installation Using SAPinst." In this guide, I also see "Run SAPinst"  in installation section. However, there is no SAPinst in DVDs.

The source I read on internet is: http://www.sapbasismania.net/2012/07/how-to-install-sap-solution-manager-71.html

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

there s no separate sapinst dvds, , its all inside the instance dvds.

Just each dvds,  have self extractor which help to extractor all in order, where sapinst also available.

you can get the needed information in the inst guide page number 57, point 2. I refer windows/oracle/SM 7.1 Guide.

Sorry I cant give step by step procedure here.

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

I am not sure what you say. You mean point 2 which refers to "Insert the installation DVD into........" is in the guide, Ins SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR Windows-Sybase ASE. I have physical DVDs. The photo 2 is what I see in "Installation Master DVD". Wherever it runs on Win 2008 Server R2 or the OS on my laptop. I think SAPCAR used for Linux, doesn't it? As regards photo 1, I am not sure which one I should pick? Four of them don't look like executable files because I had download it. I confuse very much.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

You need to use SAPCAR.exe to extract the files first

go to START -> RUN -> CMD

go to where the files are and run

SAPCAR -xvf SWPM10SP02_0.SAR

The rest are in the guides as suggested by Jansi

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The installation guide mentioned we need to run product under English OS version. Does it mean we have to do this under English OS version? If we extract the file under Chinese version, is it OK? I just extracted SAPCAR.exe, but it tells me it can't be compatible to my existing OS (Win Server 2008 R2, Chinese version, 64-bit).

Thank you.

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

can you give me the exact error you are getting,,, screen shot ?

Bets Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Pls see picture below:

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

yea i guess i asked for that .

Are you sure you are using the correct version of SAPCAR, because the language of windows should not have an effect on it.

try and download the lastest SAPCAR version for windows IA64 - 64BIT and try again.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

I am sure it's right version of SAPCAR because it shows the version I use is correct and there's a problem to be compatible to my existing OS. Here is another picture

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Reason why im asking is because in the one screenshot (Photo 2) you are showing X86_64 and above you show IA64 there is a difference between the 2 version and if you use the wrong one it will not work.

But if you are sure you are using the correct version, then i would suggest to log an oss call to get further assistance from SAP.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I know there's a difference between the 2 version. 2 pictures I show you are IA64. What does OSS stand for? How do I get further assistance??

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

I was just checking to make sure .  Unless Jansi has any other ideas.

OSS is where you log a ticket to SAP directly for assistance,

Log into service.sap.com using OSS user Id (S###########).Click on support portal -> Help & Support -> Report a Product Error. Here you will see all the systems. Click on the system for which you are having issue. System will take you to the next screen. In search term write the area where you are having issue. Then system will take you to a tree structure. Select the area, fill other details and write your message and sumbit. Reply will come to My Inbox which you can see in the same screen.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I will try your suggestion first. However, if I would like to download the newest version for installation, how do I get start installing by CMD because there's only SAR file in SAP website? How do I execute it?

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Ok after you have dowbloaded the lastest vernio from SAP site you need to extract the .SAR files first using the "SAPCAR.exe -xvf SAPCAR -xvf SWPM.SAR" command and this will extract the files for you.

Once the files has been extracted then there will be a SAPINST.EXE which you can execute which will display the SAP INSTALLER GUI.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

So you mean I have to put the latest version into the same directory where the SAPCAR.exe is, don't I? If so, what if I use physical DVD to install this system? Do I need to copy all files to local disk or just copy the newest version to DVD? If not, will it automatically search the right directory for me?

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

On the physical DVD's the files are extracted allready and you can just execute SAPINST.EXE from there. SAP only uses SAPCAR to compress the files and make it easier to download.

SAPCAR is just an extraction utility,

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

As the picture I provided in forth comment above, there's no SAPinst.exe there(Whatever it is x86_64, IA64, or I386). It's all the same files as others which are for Linux I don't see any SAPinst in physical DVD. That's why I post my question here for solution. So do I still need to put SAPCAR and newest version together? Or Do I need to copy all files to local disk for extractioin?

Thank you

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George, 

after you have donwloaded the latest version and placed into a folder you require SAPCAR

according to the pictures you send you still need to extract the files and for this you require to use SAPCAR

download the latest version place all in 1 folder and try and extract the .SAR file

best regards

marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I tried it, but it doesn't work. Do I have to input something before "SAPCAR.exe -xvf SAPCAR -xvf SWPM.SAR" command?

Thank you and best regards,

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

the command is "SAPCAR -xvf SWPM*.SAR"

please try and execute like this

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

It doesn't work. It shows it's not right command. No more command before the one you gave me?

Thank you and best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

please go through this document

http://www.easymarketplace.de/SAPCAR.php

here is also 2 sap notes

Note 212876 - The new archiving tool SAPCAR

Note 1732990 - Use SAPCAR.exe to extract .SAR file

Can you please paste the error you are getting in English as im unable to read the screen shots

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Please ensure you have the file sapcar.exe at the current path where you are executing it.

Suppose If C:/Desktop> is the path in the command line, then you should have sapcar.exe at path C:/Desktop.

BR,

Prem

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George

please have a look at the screenshot

yo will see i called SAPCAR_315-20010451.exe instead of just SAPCAR.exe because thats the name of the SAPCAR executeable in this screenshot.

your SAPCAR file name is SAPCAR_315.exe

what happends when you execute

SAPCAR_315.exe -xvf SWPM*.SAR

Please paste the results in English

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

Only Chinese version I could provide you because all of our system are Chinese. What it means in English is "This command is not executable".

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Please see my latest reply, as an alternetive you can rename SAPCAR_315.exe to SAPCAR.exe and copy it into C:\WINDOWS then you will be able to execute it from anywhere jsut by typing SAPCAR.exe

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

It works.

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

glad to hear,

if you are happy please close the thread.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I have another question. The interface with latest version is different from the previous version. Also, the step is different from the one which listed in your guide. I am not sure which one I need to install first.

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

you mean the version of SAPCAR i was using if so then it is always suggested to use the latest version supplied by SAP

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I mean the installation procedure. I am not sure which one would be the first to execute installtion because the interface is different from the procedure in installation guide. The first step in the guide is to find ,solution manager., and then find SAP systems. However, in my interface, I don't find them.

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

George,

aa ok i see now what you mean the document you are following is using the SAPINST from the DVD and not SWPM that you just extracted to use the SAPINST from the guide you need to make sure you downloaded all the correct files from SMP

Then you will be able to use that guide,

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

You mean I have to download all files from market service and then copy all of them to the same directory, don't I? If I would like to copy all files coming from physical DVD and place them into same directory, does it work?

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes it should work,

can you show me the files on the master dvd ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

Picture provided below:

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

George,

please show the contents of

CDLABEL.ASC and LABEL.ASC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marius

Can they be opened? What kind of software can it open both of two files?

Best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can as they are ASCII files you can use NOTEPAD or WORDPAD to open these 2 files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marius

「SOFTWARE PROVISIONING MGR 1.0 SP02 Installation Master Number 51046138_1」--> CDLABEL.ASC

「SAP:::MM::D51046138_1」--> LABEL.ASC

best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

George,

yes that is for the SWPM, I have not used it to install solman with i use the sapinst from the solman files, this is roughly what it looks like, when you use the solman sapinst

I would suggest to download the master files from SMP and use them

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

Yet this is what I see on my computer. I am not sure which one would go first for installation. It's different from the interface you showed me.

best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes sorry George, like i say all i can think of is downloading the solman files and running from there

hope you come rigth

best regards

marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I have already downloaded all files from download center. However, it still has some problems. It shows that I have to use latest version. I have no idea why. The problem I got last week was solved, but today I try it one more time. It doesn't work. It failed to extract files to create sapinst.exe. Problems listed below:

best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

This is a filesystem limitation, please try and extract to a filesystem running NTFS and not FAT.

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

The extraction problem has been solved. Yet there's another problem here. The problem is the same as it happened last week. Pls see the 2nd picture, which refers to the problem, from this comment to the top. I don't see any step like the 3rd picture you provided from this comment to the top. I had already downloaded all files from "Support Portal > Download Center". I am not sure what happened to this. My interface is different from yours and the instruction. I use the latest version running on right system environment. I also comply with all steps the instruction show me and you told me. I am not sure if I execute correct files or not. Otherwise, this problem could not happen again.

thank you and best regards

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

please also have a look at the following

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3345612

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2013/02/12/sap-solution-manager...

I'm going through the documentation quickly myself

Best Regards

Marius

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

please extract the file 70SWPM*.SAR that you have and execute the SAPINST located in there

form below you will see that SOLMAN is located in there

if you are happy please close the tread

Best Regards

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

How do I extract the file 70SWPM*.SAR that I have by command? I just tried it, but it just asked me to open this file. i think it failed to extract. Also, do I need to place them into one directory?

Besides, I read the documentation you provided me. You colleague say: "Go to Installation and upgrades and find S for solution manager. Then I will find software provisioning manager 1.0". After that, download "Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP01 for NW 7.0x". However, I can only find SP2 and SP3 in it. Where is SP 01?? Could you show me?

thank you and best regards,

George

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

SAPCAR_315.exe -xvf 70SWPM*.SAR

extract this into a clean folder and not in the same folder as the SWPM*.SAR you extracted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius

I see it. Is it solution manager 7.1 support release 1? Is the one to choose?

thank you and best regards,

George

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg

Have you downloaded right software, ps. post what you downloaded

-Giri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sapinst is just a tool to install any sap system. To install solution manager you will have to download the required dumps of sap solution manager from service market place. When you use sapinst for installation it will ask for dumps and you will have to provide the path for downloaded dumps.

Its advisable to use latest sapinst for installation.

Regards,

Prem