cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to kill programmatically a running stored procedure from XS code?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm calling a stored procedure from XS Java script code.

I want to kill programmatically the execution of this SP from the XS code while the SP still running.

(IMHO - This could be done by ALTER SYSTEM CANCEL SESSION '<session_id>')

1.    How could we know programmatically what is this SP session_id ?

2.    Is there an option getting this information when executing the call, store it and using it later on for the canceling?

Thanks, Elad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Elad

To get the session/connection id for your *own* session you can always use the current_connection() function.

However, as you want to kill an other session (not your current one), you would need to figure out which session is the one you're after.

From the top of my head I see two options:

1. you set a session context variable e.g. a job name or something similar and look for the session with this specific session context variable set.

For this use SET 'variable_name' = 'variable_value' and the m_session_context view.

2. you encode identifying comments into your calling SQL code, e.g.

call  /* this is my job ID */ schema_name.proc_name();

Then you can check for sessions that execute exactly this piece of code in M_PREPARED_STATEMENTS.

All in all I'd rather say that this could and maybe should be a feature request to SAP HANA development: that you can specify the maximum wanted run time for a procedure call.

BTW: if you're after ending the CALL only and not so much after killing a session, you should look into the CANCEL REQUEST command instead.

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars and Thanks,

Could you please elaborate regarding #1, where and what should I search in m_session_context view?

Thanks, I'll update with the progress.

Elad

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, what you could do in your SQL code is you can set session variables.

The variables and their values can be inspected in the m_session_context view.

So by creating a session variable in your code, this would be the variable you'd be looking for.

Anyhow: is there any specific reason why your procedure should run too long?

For lock waits e.g. there is a server wide timeout parameter available.

- Lars    

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars and Thanks,

Our product should enable a massive operations (such as huge load) to our users.
We are developing a process manager which will enable configure steps and compose them into processes.

Among our requirements, we have to enable a time-out for each such step; If the step will stuck it should be terminated after this time-out and its inner operations should be rolled back.

Our code is based on XS code which calls asynchronous SP's (Which represents the steps above).

I want to isolate the connection to the specific stack SP and cancel only this connection.

As per to the discussed syntax :

#1 : session context could be set from HANA studio (in design time) but I couldn’t find a way to combine it into stored procedure so be exposed in run time.
Is there such an option?

#2 If our XS code will "call /* this is my job ID */ " it will let me found the overall XS code but I want to cancel only the connection to the stacked SP

Your advices are very beneficial. I believe that we are very close to solution!
Thanks and Best Regards, Elad

Answers (0)