cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM for Single System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to configure for Sigle system ?

I have Development system only, which is a stand alone system, no Quality system & Production system.

Example: Only one Dev (010)  working client.

How to configure ChaRM for this single system client.

Regards

P Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can follow my article on how to configure TMS on single system for 3 client if you are doing it for practice or demo etc 

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-44166

In case currently only development is installed and later on you will install QA and PRD

then also configure the TMS with Virtual system for QA and PRD and later on you can replace them with real systems

check this note

Note 1004569 - Virtual systems in Change Request Management

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31352

Let me know if you need more help

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik, Jansi & Prakhar,

First of all many thanks for your time & reply on my post.

I completly agree charm is for 3 clinets in single system or for 3 systems or 2 systems between which Transport movement happens.

I have Single system as well where My working client is only one.

My Single system is a Global system, I mean the Global chnages happen in this Single system & then these chnages are published to all other regions, which are having 3 system landscapes.

In Global system which is single system,single working client, the development & testing happens and then TRs released and mounted in Transport of copies.These Transport of copies are published to other landscapes through out all regions.

I am having all types of landscapes

- Single system landscape
- Two system landscapes ( Dev & Prod)
- Three system landscpaes ( Dev, Quality & Prod)

When we are using ChaRM as a single change managment tool throughout organization, then we should be able to track Single system chnages as well.

ChaRM is a chnage management tool, it should handle all types of changes which may happen in Single system as well.

Till now what I tried:

Created Logical component with Development client only & tried to activate project for ChaRM, but at consistency check I get below error

Project XXX not found in the project administration table
No track for Project xxx are consistent.

How can I track single system single client chnages in ChaRM, even though I consider these chnages as Admin chnages, then I should have some project which should be included in RFC & CD.

Any other out box suggestions... please reply.

Regards

P Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you work on single client, why do you need transport????

this is what my earlier query? this is not for Charm even TMS Track also cant define.

now lets bring your global role out scenario,

- global system /single client then where do you work for Testing? dev and testing in single system and moving the change to all regional system ( its nt best practice)

- Seems global system , is considered as SANDBOX in such case.

- You can include this as SINGLE STANDALONE System in TMS track, later configure Charm. this is very basic scenario, to add sandbox in TMS track.

now my view would be

- There is no single system in your case. global system can act as Dev system where you can transport the changes to other systems.

Please check

Thanks

Jansi

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

There are 2 solutions

1 create a TMS with one system as development box and rest QA and PRD as virtual system with my above reply and note

2 if you want to track changes simply use GENERAL CHANGE you don't need to have a TMS connection with charm activated etc for it. it is independent of that .....check below link

Its out of box no development required

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp05/helpdata/en/19/57830da5014137bba2f87e41aabd65/frameset.htm

you can look for demos etc over marketplace as well

Already Jhansi has mentioned incase if you are not going for landscape expansion then no need to go for charm at all and simply use option 2 i suggested.

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

The second option which you mentioned I did the same.

considering my golbal systems GS as Dev & I configured Virtual system VS as Prod.

Dev -> Prod

GS -> VS

I created maintenance project for this logical component & activated ChaRM. this is working fine.

My Only concern here is my TR will not move from GS to VS. As virtual system does not exist.

I created Urgent change , created TRs, did dvelopment & released task. When I performed  action 'Pass correction to Test' TR got released & status chnaged to 'To Be Tested' but import didnt happen as we dont have quality system, which is correct.

Now when I performed action ' Import correction to Production' I got the error saying Virtual system does not exist, but status chnaged to 'Imported to Production'. This is also fine as its warning & stause chnage will happen. But next status chnage not possible.

But what my main concern is how can I confirm the Urgenct change & then complete. Finally we need to complete the UC.

Regards

P Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

Thanks. Let me explain you what I am looking for

I have GS as Global system.

in Europe my landscpae is  EDev -> EQuality -> EProd

in Asia my landscape is ADev -> AQuality -> AProd

in North America my landscape is NDev ->NQuality -> NPord

Suppose I have a common change which need to be implmented in Europe, Asia & North America.

So in this case I do the common development & testing in Global system, release the TR, create Transport of copies(Tcop) & add the released TR in this and publish this for other landscapes.

Now this TCop is published to all landscpaes ( Europe, Asia & North ameriaca). So it is saving the development work. If we have to do the development in each & every landscapes, then its a duplicate work which need to be repeated.

So I have configured charm for Europe, Asia & North America. which is working fine.

Now how I bring Global system under ChaRM.

Regards

P Kumar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

This is the first option not second

Option 1

if you are using virtual system then no need to complete the cycle because once the real system will be inplace you can transport the TRs to them

Option 2

second option is just using General Change where it is not connected to TMS so you just need and RfC and General Change to control or document all the change but don't transport if later on you don't these TRs to be moving to some other system

Let me know if still it doesn't clarifies

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Prakhar,

Real system will not be in place, it will always Single system.

Can I use Admin change.As general chnage is used for Printer related chnages.

Regards

P Kumar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar

Yes you can create a project with LC etc as you already aware now and proceed further

Both way it is ok but choice is ur requirements and specific scenario

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i wonder, for single system and single client why do we need Charm? or why do need transport.

You directly work on the client and do change, is it?

Though if you have muliple client on single system Charm is highly posible, even you can do all the latest fucntionality like enhanced retrofit too in the single system multiple client.

Other option only you need to create virtual systems in TMS, but again its nt the single client and single system scenaroio,

Even, I didnt find any logic behind to do.

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

If I directly work on client & make changes, then where to track these changes. I should have RFCs & CDs for the same to track. OR Only CDs  so that we can track the chages.

Regards

P Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

if you are using single system, required 3 client for 3 system landscape configuration.

Not able to configure ChaRM in single system with single client.

please check the below link for details step to configure the ChaRM in the single system using three clinet

http://scn.sap.com/people/dolores.correa/blog/2008/07/26/first-steps-to-work-with-change-request-man...

Rg

Karthik