cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP6 error Open_dataset_no_authority

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's the problem/question:

My systems use the inclusion table SPTH to determine what directories on the server can access the SAP system. Any time something tries to access the system from a location on the server other than what is in that table, I get an error stating "OPEN_DATASET_NO_AUTHORITY". I'm performing an EHP6 upgrade and In all of my other systems (SND,DEV,QAS) I've just gone to SE16 and entered the paths to the the upgrade directories and problem solved. In QAS, I had to change the client role from production to test in order to have the edit/change option in SE16, but as soon as I did and made the change, I hit continue in the SUM and the error was gone. I'm reluctant to make the client role change in PRD as I'm not sure what ramifications might be. I manually entered the the paths using SQLplus and they show up in the table when I view it in SE16, but I still get the error like nothing was done at all.

I'm wondering, does the table get re-read when you make a change in SE16 and maybe on startup or is there something else going on here? If I change it in SE16 it works, but if I manually change the table using SQLplus, it does not work.

HP-UX

Oracle 11g

Thanks,

Kyle

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kyle,

> I manually entered the the paths using SQLplus and they show up in the table when I view it in SE16, but I still get the error like nothing was done at all.

The table SPTH is fully buffered as far as i can remember. Please cross-check this once again via SE11 in your system for safety reasons. You need to clear the SAP table buffer (/$TAB), if you change the table data via SQL*Plus in such cases.

SAP Documentation: Buffering Database Tables

SAP Buffer Reset: How to Reset different SAP buffers

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Again, thank you for the quick response.

I believe you are correct about this being a buffered table. Further demonstrated by the changes not showing in SM31. I will run /$tab after COB (24/7 operation but many users will be gone) due to the performance hit it will take.

Thank you for the info, I'll report back after I've tried it.

- KJ

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

RB, You are right. I had tried opening the system up in SCC4 and SE06 before, but I had only tried making the change in SE16 after that. I opened it up and was able to make the change in SM31.

This presented a problem, I had made the change already manually in oracle and because (Thanks Stefan) it was buffered it didn't show up in SM31. When I made the change in SM31, I got a dump because of duplicate records. So you're right it would have solved my problem if I hadn't already made the manual change.

Stefan, the /$tab did the trick. clearing the buffers re-sync'd the tables and I was able to get past my errors.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Did you try updating the table SPTH using the Tx SM31 ?

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw/helpdata/en/49/7b5e58cafe11d2a5dd0000e83dd3ac/content.htm

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

RB;

Thank you for the amazing quick response.

Yes, I did try it in SM31 as well, but since the system is production and client role is set to "Production", I can't make any changes to that table.

I had tried it in SE16 and SM31 before I put it in manually through Oracle. I look at the table in SE16 now and I see the entries, I just went to SM31 and looked at the table and those entries aren't there. Curious.....

I guess that table doesn't get read unless its updated using system tools or upon a restart of the system (approval for which will be a monumental task).

Thanks for reminding me of that one though.

- KJ

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Kyle,

I did try it in SM31 as well, but since the system is production and client role is set to "Production"

It doesn't matter whatever the client role is.

You just need to relax the settings in SE06 - System Change option and also the settings in SCC4.

Regards

RB