cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Layers and Transport Routes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

What is purpose of transports layers and transport routes?

I am already aware of theoretical definition of consolidation route and delivery route, SAP standard routes. But i don't know what is use of those in practical scenario.

Can anyone of you please explain in term of example. So that i can understand it properly.

We are having very complex landscape(more than 70 systems in single landscape) and i need to understand that landscape properly to do any modification in TMS.. Please help me to understand practical usage of transports layers.

Regards,

SG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Surojit,

First of all a I have to explain packet:

Packet
---------
A packet groups Objects of the Development. Any report or table or data element … belongs to a packet. So every repository element is connected with a packet.

Transport route
-------------------
A transport route describes the direction a transport can be transported. For example if you want to transport a transport from development to a test system, you have to configure in TMS a transport rout from development to the test system.

Transport layer
--------------------
A transport layer connects packets to transport routes.

The connection between packet, transport route and transport layer is:

Objects of Development (Programs or Reports or Tables …) <-> packets <-> transport layer <-> transport route <-> systems

If you develop a report in development system and want this report to be transported to the test system you need:

-to connect the report with a packet.
-to connect this packet with a transport layer
-to connect this transport layer to the transport route that is connected to the both system and describes the direction FROM(development system) TO(test system)

For an exact description see:
http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/57/38de0c4eb711d182bf0000e829fbfe/content.htm

Best regards
Willi Eimler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Willi,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Its highly appreciable if you can give any practical example in term of development class.

i found below lines in help.sap link provided by you.

• Any modified objects that have a consolidation route set up for their transport layer are included in transportable change requests. After the request has been released the objects can be imported into the consolidation system.

How can i check that which objects belongs to consolidation route aand transports which carries those changes ?? In addition to that you have mentioned about packages(objects or group of objects) is these packets are maintained in form of namespaces??(Please excuse me i am not much aware of ABAP development objects)

Regards,

Surojit

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Surojit,

Enter Transaction STMS->Overview->transport routes.

In this screen you see a picture of your system transport landscape. There you can see(if
configured) a transport route with the transport layer labeled. double click on this transport route and you will enter a screen with all packets associated to the transport layer.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Willi,

Many thanks for your reply.

But i am curious to know what is purpose of standard SAP layer between DEV and QA system?

And why the same is not maintained between QA and PRD systems?

Regards,

Surojit

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surojit,

there are two types of transport routes.

Type 1 Konsolidation:

-----------------------------

This type of transport routes is used to transport from your development system to your Konsolidation system. It startts from the development system and points to your quality assurance system (3 system landscape) or directly to your production system (2 system landscape).

The transport layer is connected to this type of transport routes.

Type 2 Delivery:

----------------------

This type of route establiches the transports between quality assurance system and production system (only 3 system landscape)

Be aware you can configure a lot of system landscapes with this route types (x system landscape)!

For detailed Information read the link I posted.

The standard transport layer is used to be able to transport sap objekts. The other transport layers defined by you is used to transport own objects.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Willi.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort.

Regards,

Surojit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Consideration to have, if you have non-ABAP type systems in your environment do you need to account for these?

If you do have to account for them, then you will have some additional work to incorporate CTS into the mix of transports.