Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data polling in SAP ECC through SAP PI from AS/400

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We got a situation: Management wants to poll the attendance data to SAP ECC , attendance data is captured through a bio-metric device and stored in the DB2 on legacy system AS/400. We are proposing to use SAP XI to poll the data from legacy system to SAP but some of the developers are proposing to do the same using DDM (a feature of AS/400). Since our SAP ECC is also based on AS/400 and DB2, developers say that is would be easier and better to transfer data using DDM from Legacy system to ECC (in this case direct database access will be possible to and fro) which is we think in no way a good practice. Another logic they come up with is, using XI would take more time and due to this there will be some delay and it will lead to count the delays in SAP MRSS.

Below is the detail of environment:

Legacy System : On AS/400 and DB2

SAP Systems: SAP ECC on AS/400 and DB2

SAP PI on Windows Server 2008 and MS-SQL 2008

Please share your suggestions with us about the ideal solution.

Many thanks,

SUJIT

Note: Moderators, please ignore duplication of the matter. I've posted the same matter on this space because I haven't received any response on another.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can use PI with JDBC-adapter to connect to the legacy system (as400)

and process data within PI so you can monitor it too.

in SAP do you have an IDOC to process this data or another way could be SOA webservice to call in SAP-ECC

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Christoph,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are already using PI for data polling from Legacy system to SAP ECC for various purpose. For attendance data polling as I mentioned in my main post, developers are not willing to go with it rather they want to use DDM. I'm looking for some suggestions if I can get on advantage and disadvantage of using both PI and DDM so we can convince our management as well as developers to use PI.

Please advise.

Many thanks,

SUJIT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit,

did u find a way connect via PI to the DDM files?

Thanks,

PM

michael_ruth3
Contributor
0 Kudos

If the developers want to extract the data using DDM then why did your company invest all that money in SAP? 

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Agreed Michael, shall we have an alternative as already we do have SAP PI in place and not only that we have the whole SAP NW Business suite in place? We are not comfortable with the idea of data polling through back-end using DDM.

Many thanks-S