Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware & RDBMS (MSQL) migration

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This is just a question about a doubt I have. I am doing a hardware and RDBMS migration and everything is already installed in my new server. My old installation, SAP ERP 6.0, runs on Windows server 2003 with MSQL 2005, and the new one, ERP 6.0, runs on Windows 2008 Server with MSQL 2008. Now I have to bring the old database to the new database. So my question is: acording to your experience, what is the best, fastest and easiest way to do this? I've read some posts but there are several opinions. Someone suggests to do an export, another one to do an dettach and the topic is not very clear for me.

Any response would be appreciated,

Ruben

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

If you haven't seen this SAP Note:

Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

Regards

RB

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, I checked the note you mentioned but the objective of this inquiry is to get some suggestions or advices acording with your experience. What have worked best for you?

Thanks for your time and response and best regards,

Ruben

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

You have to do the system copy by using backup/restore or attach/detach method.

Kindly follow the link

http://joeysbasisblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/sap-system-copy-procedure.html

System copy guide

https://service.sap.com/instguidesNW70 base on your version

and follow the SAP Note 1476928 - System copy of SAP systems on Windows 2008 (R2): SQL Server

Thanks

Ram

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Many thanks Ram,

I know this time there are no right or wrong answers, and as I said, I just want to know your "first hand experiences", suggestion and advices about the topic and for sure I´ll be checking all the posts you send me.

Best regards,

Ruben

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

Experiences -  In my first hand experience is SAP BI Quality system for testing propose(from Windows 2003 /MS Sql 2005 to windows 2008 Enterprise server with MSCS / MS Sql 2008 R2), and also we want to migrate all production standalone (SAP BI,EP & XI ) systems to HA environment.

We followed the Steps in the test & production environment. used Media NW 7 SR3

1. Exporting the source system using homogenous system copy (either backup/restore or detach/attach method)

2. Install the HO servers with windows OS 64 bit enterprise edition with latest patches.

3 Fail over cluster service installation and configurations

4 MS SQL (2008 R2 or 2005) cluster installation as per the installation guide

5. Central services instance for ABAP installation.

6 Central services instance for JAVA installation.

7 First MSCS node installation

8 Database Instance  Installation using backup restore method

9 Additional MSCS node installation

10 Enqueue replication server installation for ABAP in Node I

11 Enqueue replication server installation for JAVA in Node I

12 Enqueue replication server installation for ABAP in Node II

13 Enqueue replication server installation for JAVA in Node II

14Central Instance Installation in Node I

15 Second node installation as per the installation guide

16 Post processing steps after system copy

Suggestion - Since you are using the Microsoft platform it is easy to do the system copy method either Backup/restore or Attach/ detach,

Advice - To get the first hand experience better you can try out in your new hardware with different SID and also you follow the links which i already communicated in my privies message

Thanks

Ram

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

Go with detach/attach method which is really fast and effective.

regards

kartik

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks again Ram,

Seems that attach/dettach coul be the option...

Best regards!

Ruben

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kartik,

Appreciate your time. Everything points to dettach/atach method...

Thanks and best regards!

Ruben

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with the others, that detach/attach is the way to go.  However, that will only work, if you have an ABAP-only system.  If it's an ABAP system with Java add-in in the same database or a Java stand-alone system, you have to do a system copy using sapinst (or SPM for newer releases).  That is because the Java instance number is all over the database AND the file system, and will be mis-matched with a db attach only.

ruben_romo3
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Susan,

So, I´m for detach/attach method. Thanks to all of you for taking some of your time.

Warm regards,

Ruben

Answers (0)