cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Order Document Category

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question regarding the sales order category.

In our system the return order was define as a "C Order" instead of "H Returns" document category. The related delivery and billing documents are also not defined as returns.

Now I have as specific scenario in pricing which would work with standard configurations if the return order would have the "H Returns" document category.

I changed the category for the return order in the development system and tested the business scenarios. Everything looks fine. But still I am wondering if there could be things that I didn't took into consideration.

Could someone advise me about this?

Thank you,

Daniela

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Daniela,

The Sales document category is one of the most important settings, as far as document types are concerned!

The Sales doc categories are in sales doc type, delivery type and billing type.

For a process e.g. Sales (OTC) or Returns or Credit, all the three document types should have "consistent" values of Sales doc category (e.g. Returns - In sales doc type it is H, in delivery type it is T and in billing type it is O).

In other words, only chaning one (in sales document type only) is incorrect and would not give the correct design of the process. You have to see in to all the three document types.

Because of the sale doc category in the billing document, the respective postings happen. If sale doc cat is M, then the customer revenue account is debited, but when sale doc cat is O, then the customer revenue account is credited.

In our system the return order was define as a "C Order" instead of "H Returns" document category. The related delivery and billing documents are also not defined as returns.

Best practice is to copy standard RE document types (all three) and create your customized RE sales doc type, delivery type and billing type.

But if you want to change the sales doc cat of existing documents, then

1- compare all the customized documents with the standard RE documents (which includes

> item category REN - for both sales and delivery

> schedule line category DN

> copy controls, both VTFL, VTFA, (if there also exists) VTAA

2- test the entire cycle (all the way up to Accounting docuemnt creation and account postings).

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

The sale doc category in the billing document, the respective postings happen. If sale doc cat is M, then the customer revenue account is debited, but when sale doc cat is O, then the customer revenue account is credited.

Whatever you have told that statement ,Have tested in your system ?

Note : If I dont put that document category in Billing as M or O  for respective doc.types then dont I get result ? I am pretty much sure ,it doesnt effect on Accounting / Postings .

Thanks,

Naren

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Narendra,

Before I created the above post, I had verified/ checked the postings in IDES, by taking an invoice (sales doc category = M) and a credit memo (sales doc category = O).

From my understanding, the sales document type instructs the system to debit or credit the customer revenue account based on the sales document category (if you see all else is same in between the various billing types, in VOFA).

I hadn't changed the value of sales doc category from M to O or anything like that because generally one does not change the sales doc cat. of a billing type.

Depending upon which process is being configured the respective billing type is taken and a copy of the same is created.

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

I have tested this in my IDES.I found ,with Sales document category and without Sales document category  ( in VOFA )difference in Document Flow .

With Sales Document Category ( in VOFA ) - We can Invoice Number document flow and also status .

Without Sales Document Category  in VOFA ) - We can not get Invoice Number in document flow and also status ( If execute this kind of Billing number in VF02 after creation of billing in VF01  then you will get Billing number doesnt exist ) .

Note : Why I said pretty much sure is ,If we see help F1 of Sales Document category ,there is such kind of reason / explanation related to FI Part .

Finally,what We wanted is ,where is the relation b/w this Field to FI part of view .

Please check hereby attached two screen shots without S.category and with S.category .

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello TW,

Thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful.

I compared all the configuration that I have in my business case with the standard ones. In the next table you can see the results.

TypeCategory
My CaseStandard
Configurations
Return Order CategoryCH
Return Delivery CategoryJT
Return Billing CategoryOO
Order Item CategoryReturnsReturns
Delivery Item CategoryReturnsReturns
Schedule Line CategoryReturnsReturns
Copy ControlsReturnsReturns

I also tested the entire document flow (initial sales order - delivery - billing - return order - delivery - return billing - accounting). For the same customer and the same material I register an entire document flow for the case in which the return order is a C document category. After that I did the same for the case in which the return order is a H document category.

All went ok except the pricing from the H document category case. In this case the values from the return order, billing and accounting had the same sign as the sales order and billing document. It should have been an opposite value. The pricing procedure is the same for the sales and return documents.

Is there something else which can determine the correct values or the document category makes all the difference?

Thank you,

Daniela

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniela,

Are you saying that the account postings were the same when you created a billing document with sales doc category = M and O?

The second billing document (with sales doc cat. = O) was created for the return process (with H, T, O as sales doc categories respectively for sales doc type, delivery type, billing type).

From my understanding the signs (+, -) or debit / credit in the accounting document happens due to the sales document category of the billing type.

,   could you please comment on the below question -

Is there something else which can determine the correct values or the document category makes all the difference?

It is more about the "the signs (+, -) or debit / credit in the accounting document"

(and not so much the finding and posting in respective G/L accounts)

Thank you!

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

From my understanding the signs (+, -) or debit / credit in the accounting document happens due to the sales document category of the billing type.

Debit and Credit is depends on Movement Type ( OMJJ ) and also Posting Keys ( OB41 ) only .I am 101% is up for this statement ( whatever I said in this post ) .

Now ,let me know ,your comment on this .

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello TW,

I attached some print screens with the billing, accounting and controlling documents.

I think they are more relevant.

Thank you,

Daniela

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

I am asking you ,how,you have created that process .

VA01 with reference of Billing document ( here in Sales Document Type level ,have you maintained that document category C and H for testing purposes or in Billing Type level  ) ->VL01N->VF01

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Naren,

I register the documents using VA01 - VL01N - VF01 transactions.

I changed the document category from VOV8 tcode before registering the documents.

Thank you,

Daniela

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies.

I come to the conclusion that it is best to recreate the customized return documents by copying the standard ones as TW suggested it.

But until then I manged to solve the pricing problem using a customized pricing requirement in which I select the document using the document type not only the document category.

Best regards,

Daniela

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Yes ,It is good to you .

If you have any doubts please let me know .

Thanks,

Naren

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if there could be things that I didn't took into consideration.

Yes you also need to check VBFA table which validates this Document Category.  Since for returns, you have changed only recently, all return orders generated previously would have updated this table wrongly in the sense, if there is any ABAP coding based on this document category, then you need to revalidate this also.

Last but not least, I am really surprised who have configured like that !!!!!!!

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Sorry! could you make it a little more clear: Did you change a order document's document category to returns?

Your description, is a little unclear:

Now I have as specific scenario in pricing which would work with standard configurations if the return order would have the "H Returns" document category.

I changed the category for the return order in the development system and tested the business scenarios. Everything looks fine. But still I am wondering if there could be things that I didn't took into consideration.

With changed document categories you should also validate availability check and TOR. I had come across a scenario where in a return order was generating requirement.  Validate MD04 once.

Another thing which I could think of is Z and Y report. Commonly reports are built taking document categories into consideration. If this is yes in your system, you might loose the report's functionality.

Regards,

Debadeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

And yes, please also do remember to align Item categories and schedule line categories.

ex. If you have changed from order --> returns

Item category should modified to say it is returns

Not relevant for picking in Delivery etc.

Schedule line category should be modified to have a returns movement and switching off/on(based on whether it is return to order or order to return) TOR.

Thanks again,

Debadeep

piyush_gajera
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please check your item category determination, because item category determine in line item it should also have return mark. Check this settings are relevant as per your requirement or not.

Thank$$,

PG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello PG,

The return mark is set for the item category.

Thank you,

Daniela.

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniela,

If you have changed the Doucment Category there will be no issue in future.

But only thing that you need to check is LIS / SIS reports (e.g. MC+E). As the data is pushed in LIS / SIS Tables at the time of creation of documents, the Returns Order / Delivery & Invoice figures will be incorrect in LIS / SIS reports.

But now since you have changed the Document categories, LIS / SIS report will give correct data in future. But for past the figures will remain incorrect.

Thanks,