cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP5 Upgrade - DR Activity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are upgrading our SAP System from ECC6 to EHP5.

Platform : Hp Unix 11.31, Oracle 11.2.0.3

We have Disaster Recovery Server. We are using Oracle Standby Database (Managed Recovery).

After upgradation what activity I need to do on production server.

I need to re-install EHP5 on DR Server and Restore database again ?

Request you to please share your experience.

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

During the Configuration phase, if you select the option "Keep Archiving on during the whole procedure" in the SUM tool then there is no problem with the standby database.

If you plan to disable that option then during the downtime phase the main database will be put into NOARCHIVE log mode. Even this is not a problem, like Stefan Koehler mentioned you can take an incremental backup of the primary database and apply it on the standby database.

Regarding the kernel part. You can do that anytime.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you don't disable the archive log mode in the downtime phase, then your standby db will be updated automatically.

If you disable the log mode in downtime, you will have to recreate the standby database (copy from primary) after the upgrade.

Cheers Michael

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

> If you disable the log mode in downtime, you will have to recreate the standby database (copy from primary) after the upgrade.

Not necessarily - this is not an option especially in long distance DG environments, large database landscapes or when the transfer lag is too large to handle it via archive logs.

You can update your physical standby database with incremental backups (BACKUP INCREMENTAL FROM SCN). For details please check out the official documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/rman.htm#SBYDB00759

@ Nirav

> If I donot active archive log then

> 1. I need to restore database after upgrade at DR site

No - check my reply from above.

> if archive log is activated during upgrade then I only need to take care about SAP Kernel.

It depends on your DG configuration (e.g. like init parameter STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT)

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, but personnally i would prefer to not disable archiving during the downtime phase. I forgot it once lately and the amount of redo is minor compared to the havoc happening during the uptime phases whilest dd activation and main (shadow) import. Also there was no performance impact (unless you have real slow disks for the arch directory).

And a lot of people still are not using rman...

But thanks for the clarification.

Cheers Michael

Edit: one more thing, i would certainly stop redo apply on the standby at beginn downtime and include it in my fallback scenario, just mentioning...

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

> And a lot of people still are not using rman...

Oh you are so right and i still don't get it - especially when they run things like DG and still using the old fashion OS based copy backups. It is like building up a garage, but don't having cars for it .. RMAN is a must have in Oracle based enterprise environments.

Regards

Stefan

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

In case you have a DR system configured and log shipping is activated, you need to perform following activities on DR

1) SAP kernel upgrade for sure

When the SAP upgrade is performed on the Primary site you need to ensure that archive mode is activated. With this we ensure that any updates on Primary site are transferred to DR by means of redo logs.

SAP kernel files being local on the server, it needs to be physically updated on the DR server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak,

Thanks for your reply.

if archive log is activated during upgrade then I only need to take care about SAP Kernel.

After successfully upgradation of PRD Server, I only need to upgrade SAP kernel at DR site with same kernel level of PRD server.

If I donot active archive log then

1. I need to restore database after upgrade at DR site

2. Copy SAP EHP5 kernel at DR site.

Am I right ?

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

If I donot active archive log then

1. I need to restore database after upgrade at DR site

=> You may defer the log shipping and later resume it to synchronize. But not a recommended method.

2. Copy SAP EHP5 kernel at DR site.

=> Yes it is required to be performed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori