cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Memory consumption under Remote Desktop Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are seeing a peculiar issue in our environment. We have deployed SAP GUI and NWBC in a Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (2008 R2) farm environment with six RDS hosts. The only applications installed on the hosts are Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader XI, SAP GUI and NWBC.

When our users log in and use either application, everything works beautifully. When a user running NWBC disconnects, the NWBC.exe process in that user's session starts consuming large amounts of RAM. The process normally runs in about 240MB to 330MB of RAM, depending on how many tabs, etc. The instant the user disconnects, the NWBC.exe process begins consuming large amounts of RAM. It will usually plateau at around 1.5GB of RAM in about two minutes or so ... it doesn't consume all of the RAM instantly. As soon as the user reconnects to their session and accesses the application, the memory immediately drops back down to around 300MB. As long as the session is active, idle or not, the memory utilization remains constant. When the user manually disconnects OR the session times out and goes into a disconnected state, the RAM consumption begins.

Has ANYONE else ran into this or heard of this? Is there anyone out there running NWBC in an RDS environment? Any guidance or help from SAP out there?

Thank you,

Troy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183060
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

NWBC 5.0 PL6 contains the correction for the memory problem (2030419 - SAP NetWeaver Business Client for Desktop 5.0: Patches - CLIENT ONLY).

Best regards

Melinda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent news! We will install and test immediately. Thank you for the update!

Troy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member315749
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

Did you ever find a fix for this?

We are experiencing the same / similar issue. On Server 2008 R2 (RDS) we are noticing an issue with the NWBC.exe process consuming available memory.

We can replicate the problem easily by launching NWBC, connect to a system or client, leave running maximised and lock the desktop session. As soon as it locks the memory starts to climb up.

Unlocking the desktop session and clicking back inside the NWBC application normally drops the memory back to usual, anything from 50-100mb.

We can also replicate this same problem by remotely connecting to a Windows 7 machine and performing the same actions. There seems to be a link with RDS / Terminal server with this issue.

I have not noticed this behaviour when doing the same tests on a Windows 8 PC remotely.

We are running SAP Login 730 PL9 and NWBC PL 15.

Thanks,

Doug

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doug

No we have not. We are currently testing SAPGUI 740 and will be testing NWBC 5.0 soon after. I am *hoping* this has been resolved in a recent version.

I will post back results once we are able to fully test.

Troy

former_member315749
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately we are not in a position where we can use 740 / NWBC 5.0 but would still be interested to find out if this resolves your problem.

We have logged this with SAP and Microsoft so I'll be happy to share should we get a fix. Good luck with your testing.

Thanks,

Doug

former_member315749
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

Just to let you know we've found a fix (with support from SAP) for our issue.

Turn off 'Show Tab Previews in Taskbar'.

Within NWBC select settings > Personalise > Deselect 'Show Tab Previews in Taskbar'. This option is turned on by default.

Thanks,

Doug