Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find out logon-group utilization

tobias_gbel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

there has been a discussion about this topic 3 years ago.

I was wondering if maybe someone found out some way the help in this matter in the meantime:

Link to former discussion: http://scn.sap.com/thread/1427749

Here is why I'm asking:

In our SAP ERP System (7 Application Servers) we have defined several logon groups. We assume, that not all of them are in use.

Before i start "cleaning up" i would like to make sure,which of those groups are definitely not used anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My guess is that SAP thinks of this as an out of scope type of monitoring situation for an ERP system; I looked through the new system monitoring of Solman 7.1 SP08 and didn't find any useful metric that would be feasible.

I also am not sure if a web dispatcher would help you out in this situation, as the scenario is handing the user off to a dedicated app server; starting a new session between client and app server.

It may be possible to force all requests to flow through a web dispatcher, but that would restrict you; and by restrict I mean that if the web dispatcher were to go offline/down all your users would drop due to the connections dropping.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

tobias_gbel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we now decided to do the following:

- Either we'll isolate one of the existing application servers in a way that it can only be accessed by those groups that we assume are not used anymore. Users that logon to that particular AS will get notified to use another logon group.

- Or we'll just delete those groups that are not to be used anymore and wait for userfeedback.

Thanks again for your answers!

Kind regards,

Tobias

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Thobias,

If there are not so many clients "Errors, warnings, and monitor" level of "SAP Logon Traces" could be set, but

- this must be done on every SAPGUI PC

- a window will appear with extra information that trace level is activated, etc...

- sapguidll*.trc on every SAPGUI PC must be checked if that login group appears there.

There is no central method on SAP server side what could be used.

Best regards,

Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can remember that thread, there is no point where the SAP system knows which logon group was used. When i looked at it three years ago it worked like this:

1. SAPGui connects to the message server

2. Message server responds with the complete logon group information, pretty much the way you see in SMLG

3. SAPGui chooses the best application server for the specified logon group and directly connects to it

But you can:

- check the saplogon.ini of your clients.

- remove server 7 from all logon groups and only configure the logon group in question to that single server. If you see people logging on to that server, they most probably were using that logon group.

- delete the logon group in question and wait if anybody complains

Cheers Michael

tobias_gbel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks very much for your replys so far. @Billy is right. RZ20 does not supply the information i'm looking for. Anyways thanks for your effort.

Also: forcing all requests to flow through a web dispatcher is not what i think of as a suitable solution in my case. Good idea though.

If there is no solution for this - i guess we'll just have to get rid of those logon groups that we think are not used anymore and wait for user feedback.

Nevertheless i would suggest to keep this topic up and open for a while. Maybe someone somewhere can think of an easy solution 🙂

bxiv
Active Contributor

Another thought setup up an 8th application server, change the logon groups that you are looking to delete to only be on that application server (1 at a time) setup CCMS/SolMan to monitor if more than 1/2/5 users log in to it.  I would also leave logon groups there as you may have a mobile user or someone who took a 6 month vacation; just keep adding them on 1 at a time.

While not fast or slick, it would provide you a seamless transition of removing logon groups from your system.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Goto RZ20 and then to "SAP CCMS Monitor for Optional Component" and click on Logon Load Balancing.  There you can find much information.

Regards,

Divyanshu

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This doesn't help @Tobias; he wants to know what users have in their SAP GUI from the server stand point.