cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a SID at 710 from the newuserconcept to classicuserconcept Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,  I am starting a 720 kernel upgrade for a PI system (710) that was installed with the "newuserconcept" set, (CLASSICUSERCONCEPT environment variable is N). So, the IBMi host has no R3OWNER or SIDGROUP user profiles.  For the 720 kernel upgrade, note 1636252, doesn't seem to have considered this. eg. The command FIXSAPOWN *NONE SAP_TOOLS  fails, when you change the environment variable CLASSICUSERCONCEPT to Y, as it tries to change the objects owner to R3OWNER (does not exist). Creating R3OWNER with CRTSAPUSR, and running this again succeeds, but then APYSIDKRN fails as <SID>GROUP does not exist.  The SID IFS directories don't have SIDGROUP as the primary group.

Note 1139318 explains converting to the "newuserconcept" where user profiles R3OWNER, <SID>NN, <SID>GROUP, SAPSE<SID> are no longer used at release 710, but I would like all customer environments (ECC, BI, and PI) to have the same Operating System user authority structure.  Can I change the PI system to go back to the CLASSICUSERCONCEPT Y?  I would then need to change object authorisations in the SID specific IFS directories and libraries?

Thanks
Michael.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

joachim_kern
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

You are right,  note 1636252 does not consider a starting kernel which already has the "newuserconcept" set.

As you mention a System based on a 7.10 or 7.11 kernel may already run in the "newuserconcept" mode we have to be more precise describing what to do.

As a general hint: If your starting system already runs with a 7.10/7.11 kernel with "newuserconcept" set please replace every occurence in note 1636252 of

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSICUSERCONCEPT) VALUE('Y')

by

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSICUSERCONCEPT) VALUE('N')

We will adjust this as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Joachim

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Environment variable CLASSICUSERCONCEPT is only an indicator of which setup is active for your SID. If you change it manually this only means that you urge subsequent programs to act inconsistently and probably run into problems because they rely on missing preconditions. Therefore, I am not surprised that APYSIDKRN fails in a newuserconcept setup with the variable pointing to the classic setup.

Regarding the consistency of your landscape: You should consider pushing all your systems into the new user concept. You will be urged into this anyway as soon as you want or need to run logistical operations with SUM. Apart from this the new concept is much more aligned to the implementations on other platforms and should this way reduce the potential to face platform specific problems. In fact, we seem to observe this effect already.

Hope this helps

Thomas