cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Forms by Adobe with Zebra Printers for printing Barcode Labels?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I work for an automotive company that is looking to implement SAP in North America.

One of our requirements is to print barcoded 4" x 6" labels off of Zebra Thermal Transfer Printers (Model ZM400).

Should we use SMARTFORMS or SAP Interactive Forms by Adobe for our label designs?

Are there major advantages / disadvantages with using one or the other when using Zebra printers?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Graham  

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We need to print barcodes and labels  and i have experience with Adobe forms . it works good.

Now we have received new  alternative to use the Bar terner.

Did somebody have experience with the Bar terner programm and if this preferred from Adobe forms?

thanks in advance,

Jenya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All

Just after I posted my original question, the direction of our company changed and Adobe Forms was put on the back-burner...

I have no new  information on Adobe Forms.

Peter Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

We're printing AdobeForms on different Zebra-devices since around 3 year now w/o any problem at all. From a development perspective I would definitely recommend to choose AdobeForm, since layouting is way easier than with any other form technology provided by SAP.

You can download sample data for usage in Lifecycle designer to develop and layout the form, without the need of a real device. That enables you to offshore your dev to location, where you don't have the Zebra devices in place.

Of course it is advisable only if you are already familiar with this form technology. I would not choose it for learning Adobe Forms. Therefore I'd rather chose changing some standard SPA Forms like order confirmations and so on.

have fun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Evereybody,

We are planning to use Adobe form printing using ZEBRA 105 SL printer.

Can you provide any documentation for developing and do we need any other soft to communicate between adobe and zebra printer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I do not think any special software is needed between Adobe and Zebra printer. The printer should be set up in SPAD and appropriate device type should be selected. This would generally be done by the Basis team.

If you have ADS up and running then it should be enough to generate the Adobe form.

If you have any specific Bar code requirements or any special printing requirements like White letters on a black background then you might need to put some extra effort else no other settings are needed.

How did your company choose ZEBRA 105 SL printer? Was it recommended by Zebra?

Regards,

Praveen T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for response.

Currently we are using printer ZEBRA 105 SL and developing our lables using BARONE software.

We are planning use ADOBE for Label printing instead  of BARONE.

Usually Zebra printer under stand  special like

So if we develop new Label in ADOBE,.. How the printer will understand . That's why I was asking do we need to install any soft at printer or any place?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

There's no special software needed at all.

I recommend to use a Zebra printer at supports at least 300dpi printing, else the printed barcodes will not be readable.

The ADS takes care of translating your form into ZPL o ZPL2 printer language which can be interpreted by your printer.

Rememer: the barcode itself will be sent to the printer as image, this has pros and cons:

Pro: you don't have to care about installing barcode fonts on your device, which makes device administration easy,

Con: the printer resolution must be at least 300dpi to print a readable barcode for printing small barcodes, like 5X20 mm.

I also recommend to use a printer model with built in network interface rather than connecting the device to a separate network device through RS232. This because network performance is an issue transferring a lot images to the printer. Also the Zebra wireless printers perfom slower than the connected ones.

have fun

Sven

former_member191062
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

both smartforms and AdobeForms support Zebra label printing. It is more like your favour which technology you use.

Best regards,

Dezso

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter/Dezso,

Is ZM400 latest Zebra Printer model? Did you face any challenges in printing the labels designed in Adobe forms?

Regards,

Praveen T