cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.10 GUI BI component requires .NET installed, tools available to help ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We want to roll out the 7.10 GUI asap, with both the BW3.5 and the BI 7 component. This however requires the workstations to have .NET installed before the GUI can be installed.

Are there any tools available to push the .NET installation as a part of the GUI install ??

If not, are the any ways of checking for .NET installation before starting the sapgui installer ?

If .NET does not exist on the workstation, what error code will be given in the sapsetup.log file ?

Best Regards

Kim Sonny Petersen

Message was edited by:

Kim Sonny Petersen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kim,

Apologies for not checking the SDN before this but hope I can help out a bit.

I think that .net (1.1) is included in the automatic updates for windows.

At the moment I don't know if there is any way to include .Net in the GUI rollout but I will ask my other INS colleagues if this is a possibility.

The entry in the sapsetup.log would look something like this:

NwSapsEngn 1W Script: .NET Framework Version 1.1 (v1.1.4322)does not exist.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards,

Derek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Derek

Dont worry about the time to answer, I can allways post a "real" ticket instead, this issue however is not so important yet, so for now I just wanted to hear everyone in the Forum about this.

The sapsetup for the BI component that comes with 7.10 GUI, says it requires .NET framework 2.0 actually. Will the error in the sapsetup.log still say -

NwSapsEngn 1W Script: .NET Framework Version 1.1 (v1.1.4322)does not exist

??

Im interested in finding out, what actually will happen in a situation where the .NET framework 2.0 is not installed before the sapgui installer is run. Right now we have to push the new GUI to 3000 workstations, but eventually this number will increase to 30.000 workstations. These workstations are managed locally by different individuals not following the same update schedule and not using the same update tools. This is also why Im interested in knowing if the .NET 2.0 framework can somehow be incorporated into the sapgui install package.

This of course in order to create as smooth a installation as possible, in particular because the target workstations could be any of a large number of different setups, different OS, different patch levels, some with .NET 1.1, some with .NET 2.0, some without .NET at all.

In a normal company, there would be more control over the workstations and their setup, and here internally we can handle this fine too, however, we need to distribute the gui 7.10 to every municipal in the country, each with their own local IT department, each with their own setup, and update strategy.

Someway of triggering the .NET 2.0 update/installation, or some way to include the .NET 2.0 into the gui installation package, would make this a LOT easier.

Any advise or hints you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kim,

Here's how I would do it based on my understanding of your environment:

Set up an installation server (Interestingly enough this requires the .Net Framework 1.1 on your PC)

Download the 2.0 redistributable (dotnetfx.exe) and copy it to a folder on the installation server

Configure your installation package.

Use the <i>On Begin Install</i> scripting to call the 2.0 install. If you need language packs it gets a little more complicated. The following link has one way to check if the Framework is already installed:

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318785">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318785</a>

We extract the MSI from the dotnetfx.exe file and call it using MSIEXEC /i "netfx.msi" /qn REBOOT = ReallySuppress to get a truly silent install. The following lists some other options:

<a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/07/02/655011.aspx">http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/07/02/655011.aspx</a>

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

John