Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling Cost Centers with No Transactions

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We have many cost centers that have no transaction data posted for many years. From a best practice perspective, we would to either make the cost centers inactive or delete them. Wondering if anyone can share their experience in this issue - deactivating vs. deleting cost center.

If deletion is the best option, what are the things to be kept in mind. We are using classing GL. Also, are there any standard report that can give quick output on unused cost centers?

Appreciate your time and inputs.

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajneesh_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Vijayendra

I think deletion is a better option if Cost center has no transaction data. This will restrict the possibility of to be used by mistake by some user and thereby reduce your headache .

To the best of my knowledge If cost center is not used it will not at all appear in any cost center related report. In other words no report will give you the desired list.

But if you want to know the list of used cost centers. Use SE38-in program give RKCOWUSL-Select attributes-execute. It will take you to a new screen. There you execute last option "Run where used list (TSRUN). Here you can give your required parameter such as Cost center,Activity Type etc. to find where it is used. This is just a work around.

Now what remains is just to compare your total cost center list with used cost centers list.

Regards

Rajneesh Saxena

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Rajneesh,

"Use SE38-in program give RKCOWUSL"

Is there a similar report for checking profit center dependencies?

Vijay

rajneesh_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay

Please check 1KE4 for profit center assignments. Sorry I am not on system right now else i could help you better. Further your approach seems to be ok.

Regards

Rajneesh Saxena

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. It's a bit of manual work to get the extracts and compare with master data.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

I am now in the process of going through COSS and COSP tables to look for cost centers with no transaction data. For many records, the company code field is blank, any idea why this happens? Anyway to populate the company code field? I can get the company code information based on master data, but would like to know why the system does not populate this field in some instances.

Would greatly appreciate any inputs.

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In simple, if  the cost center is not not posted in transaction data level you can able to delete the cost center through KS04. If you are able to Delete the cost center through KS04 in test mode none of the document is posted.

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks all for you inputs!

So the approach I am going to take is:

1) No transaction data (primary or secondary) - delete

2) Transaction data exists but the cost center has not been used for long - end the validity and/or lock postings

Before deleting the cost center master, I am wondering what related items should I check to ensure consistency. For example:

1) OKB9 config

2) Cost element default assignment setting

3) Parked documents

4) Sets

5) Activity types - I actually found 12 activity types that are using 15 cost centers with some postings.

Can you guys think of anything else?

Thanks again for your inputs.

Vijay

dawoodkhalid
Active Participant
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before deactivating or deleting cost centers, a process that I do is to check the "Where-Used Lists". 

KS03 - Enter cost center

Select Environment > Where-Used List.

You can check to see if the cost centers are in any settlement rules, assets, assessment cycles, etc...

Thanks,

Chrissy

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Christina!

Is there any way to do a mass check for the method you described? I have over 600 cost centers that need to be deleted.

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay! 

Sorry, but i only know of going to KS03 one at a time to check the Where-Used list. 

But there are some short cuts to check to see some of the items.

1. Check to see if the cost center belongs to any Order settlement rules.  Go to KOK5 and create a new variant.  Then go down the page and find the "Settlement Receiver (Settlement Rule)" section and enter in the cost centers. 

2.  Is a cost center set up in any assets:  Y_D11_45000432.  If a cost center is set up in any assets that haven't been posted to yet: Y_D10_45000295.

These are some options.

You could also pull up all of the cost centers in KS13 and then double click on each one to get to the master data, instead of typing each one into KS03. 

I've looked everywhere i could for an easier way to do this but the functionality just isn't there. 

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks,

Chrissy  🙂

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Christina, I'll try out the options you have mentioned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rao,

You have 2 options to deactive the cost center, consider any of the option as per your business requirement.

1. In cost center master level you can lock the cost center, in the control tab you can lock for all actual and planning postings.

2. By using standard cost center deletion T code KS04, But the pre requisite is no transaction data should be there before cc deletion.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you said, if there is no transaction data in cost centers delete in KS04. If any data exists in cost centers impossible to delete and the only option is you can block whatever posting dont require (primary cost or secondary cost etc).

BR, Srinivas Salpala

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any report for cost centres will do, e.g. S_ALR_87013611. There is no major difference between blocking  the cost centre (KS02) or reducing its validity (KS04). Deleting it in the periods,where the postings were made, wouldn't be possible anyway.

Regards,

Eli