cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows server 2008 DR installation oracle issues. recovery of files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI experts,

I am in the process of setting up a DR for our system. I m having trouble with the restore and recovery part. The process won't continue, oracle keeps prompting this error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are not providing enough information to get some help...

I suppose you are building DR system from an online backup + archive log recovery ???

By the way Oracle 10g is not supported any more (except 10.2.0.5 with extra cost...)

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes i am building DR from inline backup and archive log then i encountered this error. By not supported it is not usable for installation anymore?

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Online backup is supported, for system copy. It is the Oracle version 10.2 that is running out of extended support...

1110995 - Extended maintenance for Oracle Version 10.2

For a new installation or a copy with DB export you should definitely install version 12.2.0.3 on target.

For a copy with backup it is also possible but you'll need to open DB in upgrade mode and apply upgrade scripts.

I guess you already tried a simple "ALTER DATABASE OPEN" ?

I'm sorry i'l not using BRtools for that purpose, have you try a simple "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL"

If all archives are available (and uncompressed) it should run fine, then just issue a "ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS" and you're done.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rosendo,

Please create a new control file for DR system and then copy the redo logs from Production to DR.

Start the database in mount state

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

Type "AUTO" -> This will automatically pick the redo logs from oraarch folder required for recovery

Once the recovery is completed, you may open the database using

SQL> alter database open resetlogs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

I would just like to know where i can generate the control file?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rosendo,

You need to execute the below command on the source system

SQL> Alter database backup controlfile to trace;

Copy the trace file generated on the source system under saptrace folder to target system.

Modify the following points in this trace file

1) SID

2) Path of origlog, mirrlog

3) Path of datafiles ( if required)

4) Change command at startup nomount as

modify reuse -> set

Save this file at /oracle/SID on target server as CONTROL.SQL.

Login to target database

SQL> Startup mount

SQL> @/oracle/SID/CONTROL.SQL

This will generate the required control file on target server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yves,

I tried using "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL" it gave me this error.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rosendo,

Please type AUTO and press Enter here. This is a information about the required redo log file for recovery and not an error message.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

I picked auto but it still did'nt work. it prompted that the system was unable to open the file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rosendo,

pls, have a lock in your oraarch destination (F:\ORACLE\PRD\ORAARCH\PRDARCH\).

for the recovery you need the archivefile with naming convention ARC1_0821709246.001.

Does the names of archivefiles/offl.redologs meet these requirements?

If so, you need more archivefiles for the recovery, so that the db is consistent.

if they doesn't meet these naming convention, you have to adjust the names of the archivefiles.

instead the option RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL u can also try the option RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE until time 'yyyy-mm-dd:hh:mm:ss' (e.g. RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE until time '2013-07-26:06:00:00')

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Are the archived logs present here F:\ORACLE\PRD\ORAARCH\PRDARCH ?

Go to the directory F:\ORACLE\PRD\ORAARCH\PRDARCH and list all the files there.

It will be easy to tell you how to recover the database if you provide the files there.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Denis,

The log files are very different from the ones the system needs (Ex.A RC785318_0711884245) but the system needs ARC1_0822060625.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

Can i use this command to generate control file?  alter database create standby controlfile as 'W:\brtools\cntrlDR.dbf'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the oracle instance just got discconected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rosendo,

so that is the reseaon for your problem.

simple said:

1. you defined a recovery with option until cancel + auto

--> all offlRedolog / archives in the oraarch-destination are used for the recovery, if they agree with the defined configuration / naming conventions in the pfile/spfile

2. there are no suitable archives --> the recovery is finished

3. the DB determine, if you try to open the DB, that the DB is not consistent --> not all needed transaction / archive are restored

there are a few possible solutions / ways. for example:

- one option is to rename manuell the archives like it is needed or defined in the pfile/spfile an to restared the recovey

- or to modify the configuration in the pfile/spfile for the archive-naming convention

eg.:

*.log_archive_dest --> this is the destination for your archivefiles

*.log_archive_format = %t_%s_%r.dbf --> this is the format/naming convention for archivefiles defined in PFILE (init<SID>.ora) or SPFILE

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Can you paste the last few lines of the alert log please ?

Also what is the version of the Oracle database on the source system ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

This is the last line of the alert log

Mon Jul 29 13:39:05 2013

E:\oracle\PRD\102\bin\oradim.exe -startup -sid prd -usrpwd *  -log oradim.log -nocheck 0

Mon Jul 29 13:39:27 2013

ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

and the version of the oracle in the source system

oracle 10g.  10.2.0.2.0

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

The reason why the database fails to open is because the source and the target database patch set levels are different.

You need to call the dbua (Database Upgrade Assistant) to upgrade the database to 10.2.0.4 level.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

What if i use the same oracle installation set in source system in my DR installation. would that help?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good Day Rosendo

What if i use the same oracle installation set in source system in my DR installation. would that help?

YES

But isn't it better to set up both the databases with the latest patchset of 10G ?

Again the decision is yours and I was just having an opinion.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much.

Answers (0)