Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BrainStorming help for a PI beginner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I'm quite new to PI, but that shouldn't a big problem...I just want 

- to participate from your experience dealing with SAP PI

- to know if it's possible just using the PI or if I have to develop an additional report in the SAP ERP backend system and if it's possible using the PI receiving a short roadmap in order to go deeper in the PI topic.

Our system ... SAP PI 7.3 Java-only

My problem / task: Consuming depending webservices

Result of a webservice, named WS1 (queue summary),  is a table with 2 fields VAR1 (queue name) VAR2 (queue count).

For each entry: While VAR2 (queue count) > 0 call webservice WS2 (receive next queue entry) using VAR1 (queue name) following call a third webservice (delete current queue entry) using VAR1 (queue).

Is such a depending logic designable in SAP PI?!

Thx in advance for your time and support.

Kind regards,

André

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, very much possible, use SOAP lookup concept to perform look up of first web service calls and SOAP lookup works in a Sync mode so you can take decision based on response.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is possible even without bpm. Basically you rely on earlier webservice call output for the other and finally use the values for the target call.  You have to do two UDFs in the message mapping as a sequence and if the second mapping output has the relevant value then map it to the target webservice call.  Onlly downside I see is the missing of the monitoring capability using this way.... But this would work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre, welcome to the forum!

In PI you can define as many dependent web service look-ups as you like within a mapping.

What is the trigger for your process? And is it idempotent?

For example, if you want to run this on a schedule, and running the web service lookups don't cause data to change on the remote systems? For example you could follow a combination of strategies like in Michal's blog and Bhavesh's.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/01/05/michals-pi-tips-exchange-rates-fr...

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2006/11/20/webservice-calls-from-a-user-defi...

The main thing to be careful of in the mapping is remembering that if a portion of the mapping fails, the web service lookup could be called multiple times (during retries).