Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver AS Java - get license expiry

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello together,

I am just searching for an easy way to automatically collect the expiry date of all installed licenses within Netweaver AS JAVA systems. Has anybody ever come accross this issue and has a nice solution?

Is there a way to do it on the Operating-system level or from within the database? If not may I use some kind of java-code to request the data using the JMX-interface?

Best Regards and thanks in advance,

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A Solution Manager 7.1 system will do this under the Change Management work center and will even update the maintenance certificate and install it to ABAP or Java stacks

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

is it possible to get the informations about the license in a java only system via CCMS (RZ20)?

Perhaps Solution Manager uses this functionality?

Regards,

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

there is a way to get the License for AS JAVA Systems. To do this go to follow the below:

NWA-->Configuration Management Infrastructure Licenses Available Licenses.

from here we can upload a new licence and can install.

We can apply this through OS level if the system is not up. For that we should have the license downloaded from Market place.

Login with SIDADM give saplicense -install.

Provide the system details.

To view installed license give saplicense -show.

Reward if helpful.

Thanks,

Phani.

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Phani,

thank you for your information, but as I posted already in march:

Within the JAVA only systems there is no saplicense/saplikey, table SVERS is missing.

SAP Support told us that license information could only be get via Solution Manager or via NWA.

Regards,

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou Julia for the info.

Thanks-

MarceloPinheiro
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

I suggest you getting the license keys again based on your system criteria from service market place.

See notes:

94998 - "Requesting license keys and deleting systems"
870871 - "License key installation"

607141 - License key request for SAP J2EE Engine

Also, first go through the document Questions which clarifies the questions regarding License installation for SAP systems.

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have to revitalize this thread 😉

We've got the same problem. We want to get licenseinformation about changed hardeware keys via OSS scritping in AIX. On our ABAP systems there is no problem: information can be grabbed via "saplicense -get" and an email is sent if hardware key changed.

Within the JAVA only systems there is no saplicense/saplikey, table SVERS is missing.

SAP Support told us that license information could only be get via Solution Manager or via NWA.

How can we get the information about changed hardwarekey via console / OSS?

Regards,

Julia

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

ok, changed hardwarekey can be monitored via saplicense.

But how can be monitored if current license is valid? saplikey is not working with java only system.

Regards,

Julia

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Julia, sorry for the late reply. It is possible to get the information via the JMX interface. Once you have your connection set up you can do sth like this:

//define your Properties object "props" for your JMX connection and create an MBeanServerConnection

MBeanServerConnection mbsc = JmxConnectionFactory.getMBeanServerConnection(JmxConnectionFactory.PROTOCOL_ENGINE_P4, props);

//define your scope

ObjectName scope = new ObjectName("com.sap.default:*,j2eeType=SAP_MonitorPerNode,name=\"/Kernel/Licensing Manager/License Validity Period/J2EE-Engine_ORA\"");

//get the result from the query

Set results = mbsc.queryNames(scope, null);

Possible License types are:

J2EE-Engine_ORA

J2EE-Engine_ADA

J2EE-Engine_DB6

J2EE-Engine_SYB

J2EE-Engine-MSS

Cheers,

Jochen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will have to then investigate an option for java related monitor that interfaces with the licensing adapater in the java stack. Unfortunately the entries for  example as in abap is stored in table SAPLIKEY but these are digitally signed hexadecimal format if Im not mistaken. So not sure how you would be able to determine expiry date from that. Perhaps log a query to sap oss they might be able to advise of assisting or alternate solution.

Regards.

Johan

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey,

as SIDADM-user you are able to get the license-information for an ABAP system with the help of

"saplikey -show pf=<PROFIL>"

As far as JAVA-systems are concerned I will have to search deeper.

Thanks so far,

Jochen

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On Windows 2008 R2 (MSSQL backend) I logged in as SIDADM and ran the following:

saplikey -show (and -get) pf=<PROFIL> = unable to connect to DB

saplicense -show (and -test) pf=<PROFIL> = unable to connect to DB

Chances are its a SQL auth issue, I should also point out I am testing this on a 7.4 NW java stack.

But if this were to work you could schedule this to run daily and populate something to report the license status.

Or you could script it so that if it comes back with a temp/bad license to apply/install the new one from location xyz, at which point you just have to have the files sitting some where waiting for the script to find the issue with the licenses.

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Mh, I have just tried Oracle DBs and with Oracle it works on Linux and Windows Servers using the SIDADM-user. Have you checked if "R3trans -d" works for you?

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It did not, and I'm not overly concerned.  The DBA is fairly tight on security perms and this is an Adobe system...if it were down I would have about 7 people IM'ing me about the issue.

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

I see

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

Please refer to SAP note 1227762 it seems the note was released earlier this month.

Digitally-signed license keys were introduced for Basis Release 7.00. The license key that was used until Release 6.40 can still be used in all of the 7.xx Basis Releases that have been delivered up to now.

saplicense can manage old license keys only, and can no longer install as of Basis Release 7.10.

saplikey manages the new, digitally-signed license keys. The operation process of saplikey largely corresponds to that of saplicense.
saplikey requires profile parameters and an environment such as disp+work.

For Basis Releases 7.00 and 7.01, saplikey is available on SAP Service Marketplace only as of the release of this note; for Release 7.00 as of patch level 170 or 217 (depending on the platform), for Release 7.01 as of patch level 53.

With the latest patch for all releases, available as of calendar week 29/2010, the input parameter number and its output are adjusted to saplicense. In addition, the return value for the operating system can be differentiated as follows:

• 0 - No error
  • 1 - Warning: License could not be installed since a license exists already
  • Other - Error

For details about the patch level, see the SAP GUI display of this note by choosing Note Administration -> "SP Patch Level" tab page, in the HTML display under "Content:  ... SP Patchlevel".
saplikey is contained in the packages SAPEXE_...sar and dw_...sar. These are available at service.sap.com/support:
Downloads - Download
- Support Packages and Patches - Entry by Application Group
-> Additional Components -> SAP Kernel

Below is example from Java only stack so you can use saplikey to monitor this as well.

lp09sid00:sidadm 54> saplikey pf=SID_JC00_psidci00 -show

SAP License Key Administration  -  Copyright (C) 2003 - 2007 SAP AG

List of installed License Keys:

==========================================

1. License Key:

------------------------------------------

System                : SID

Hardware Key          : S009999999

Software Product      : J2EE-Engine_ORA

Software Product Limit: 2199999999

Type of License Key   : permanent

Installation Number   : 00999999999

System Number         : 000000000999999999999

Begin of Validity     : 20101115

End   of Validity     : 99991231

Last successful check : 00000000

Validity              : valid

------------------------------------------

1 license keys listed.

Hope this helps saplikey is very new   have not used it myself. You can use the parameter switches after the profile names test this on your side.

Regards,

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen ,

This should be done by your solution manager system.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm70ehp1_sp23/helpdata/en/89/a7c08d740c4cffb491f98801f17d30/content.htm

The background job REFRESH_ADMIN_DATA_FROM_SUPPORT passes the system numbers captured in the SAP Solution Manager system, of the managed systems for which you have activated automatic license data distribution, to the SAP Global Support Backbone.

The SAP Global Support Backbone checks each system for a valid maintenance contract.

If a maintenance contract is invalid, the process ends, and the information is passed to the background job, which returns it to the customer SAP Solution Manager system.

If the maintenance contract is valid, the SAP Global Support Backbone checks whether there is a license or a maintenance certificate. The background job gets existing valid licenses and maintenance certificates, and returns them to the SAP Solution Manager system.

Inexistent maintenance certificates can be generated automatically in the SAP Global Support Backbone. The background job collects them the next time it runs (daily).

The license data captured by the background saved and made available in the SAP Solution Manager system.

The license data is distributed to the managed system automatically.

To ABAP systems:

The task Maintenance Package runs daily in the Service Data Control Center (transaction SDCCN). It gets the license data from the SAP Solution Manager system by RFC.

Captured license data is saved and installed locally, in the SAP License Management (transaction SLICENSE), automatically.

When you import SAP support packages or SAP support package stacks with installation tools such as SPAM or SAINT, they check whether there is a valid license or maintenance certificate for the system.

To Java systems:

The Extractor Framework in the SAP Solution Manager system controls the distribution of the licenses or maintenance certificates to Java systems. The License Distribution extraktor captures the license data in the SAP Solution Manager system, daily.

New licenses and maintenance certificates are passed to the SMD agent, which triggers the installation in the managed system. They are then available in the Licensing Adapter.

When software is imported with the Java Support Package Manager (JSPM) installation tool, it checks whether there is a valid license or maintenance certificate for the system.

Note NOTE

If the automatic distribution of license data into a managed Java system fails, you can analyze the procedure log, in the Extractor Framework management. Proceed as follows:

Go to the Extractor Framework management:   Work Center Root Cause Analysis   Common Tasks   Extractor FWK Administration  .

Enter the System ID of the managed system, in the Managed System tab, and choose Select.

The License Distribution extractor appears in the list of extractors. The status Active indicates that automatic distribution is active.

Select the row, and choose Log, to display the log.

Regards,

Johan

jochen_willeke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your elaborated answer!

Sadly I do need something different, as the systems in question are test-systems which are in most cases not properly connected to the SolMan. Colleagueas are testing different things on these servers all day.

So I would prefer a short script over having to maintain the SolMan connections all-day.

Regards,

Jochen