cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intial load of large number of users from IDM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are loading 2000 user roles as a batch(1job) from IDM to all child systems ECC, SRM,APO, Portal, BW and it is taking close to 3 hours to load the users(is this normal?). we need to load 150K users and we are running out of time to load all the users.

I looked at system/database performance and did not find any resource contention issues. we have total 4 dispatchers (on 2 systems) and looking if we need to activate any parameters to increase performance.

Thanks,

Venkat.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

Well that is a lot of roles to load at once.

There's a few considerations when loading roles into IDM that you might want to consider.

• The load can be affected by the database either through network traffic or load on the database server
  • The load can be affected by the system(s) that you are loading from. I've seen the IDM load have impact on the SAP systems in the past so if the system is slowed down, then the load to IDM is slowed down
  • Load on the IDM server, only load one system at a time, heavy parallel loads will exacerbate both of the above and add its own layer of slowness.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might also have problems with Java heap size - you can increase it to let the dispatcher do more work with more RAM.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with standing up lots of dispatchers to take care of an initial load.  You'll almost certainly find that the issue is with the comms -> ABAP rather than the database.  Each user will take X number of seconds to write and there's not a huge amount you can do about it.

Essentially, you're doing a large number of users rather than normal operations.  I'd assign more resources to the task as probably the best option.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venkat,

I had the same reflexion when I did the Initial Loads.

We have more than 30 SAP systems to load and it takes a lot of time, depending on the speed of the systems (sandboxes are very slow here), the number of users, roles and assignments.

Before starting the initial load I usually make a cleaning in my SAP systems :

- Cleaning of the users regarding the policy (users not used for 18 months)

- Cleaning of assignments (granted roles with a date in the past are deleted)

- Cleaning of dubble assignements (useless and worst, makes errors in IDM during the loading, and errors slow down the load).

I also tried to make the loads during the night from home, but the performance were less good than during the day at the office (altough my internet connection is very good).