Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-build using CTM

sunykumar_chouhan
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We are using CTM planning engine in our project , we have a requirement where in we want to utilize the resource capacity to 100% in near future i.e  from current week to 10th-12th week

Currently we use backward scheduling mode with fixed pegging,

Maximum Earliness for Planned Orders is 999 , order creation frame is 999 ,Maximum Earliness of a Receipt is 100000:00 hours

So what happens is when we run CTM , We observe that lot of capacities in near future remains underutilized

As a workaround what we do is we only open the capacities for first 4 weeks and reduce the capacities from 5th week on wards to future weeks to 1 units/day  and then we run CTM  so  that resource utilization for first four weeks is 100%.After the run we firm the orders  generated by CTM and open capacities from 5th week till 9th week and then again run CTM , firm orders generated by CTM and repeat the procedure till have 100% resource utilization in near future.

But this consume's lot of time and we face many pegging issues which results in excess supply situation.

Is there any way by which we can achieve 100% resource utilization using backward scheduling mode in a single CTM run?

Thanks a lot

SKC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
SKC,
But this consumes lot of time and we face many pegging issues which results in excess supply situation.
Any time you build product earlier than warranted by demand, by definition you will generate excess supply.
I don't know how your CTM solution is designed.  I will assume that you have already checked, and you have determined that you do not have one or more constraints 'somewhere' that are preventing the buckets from being filled.  If there are no constraints, then the probable answer is that you simply do not have enough demand to fill the capacity.  Most CTM designs in a well-balanced production line will fill your capacity in the short term, as long as over the long haul you have adequate demand in the right time buckets. You should first examine what are the business factors that are causing this situation.  The first thing I would look at is whether your forecast is adequate to ensure that capacity is filled. 
If you are unwilling or unable to build to a forecast, but you want to build product even when there is no demand for the end items, you should then think about building safety stock, using one of the many supported methods.  If you are unwilling to build buffer stock, you could look at Safety Lead time.  This will force the system to try to build supply earlier than actually required. 
I am not aware of any standard CTM settings that are solely designed to automatically fill short term capacity, without there first being buildable short term demand in place.  It is not clear to me that CTM is the right tool for this job.  Filling of short term capacity buckets is normally done using other tools, within a very short time window (1 or 2 weeks) that is not managed by CTM. 
Best Regards,
DB49
sunykumar_chouhan
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

Thanks lot for you inputs , we are testing now this with forward scheduling .

Regards,

SKC

Answers (0)