Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly is SL controller

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

when installing SAP, both sapinst and its "new" version, the Software Provisioning Manager,

are asking for a media, called again Kernel, or a.k.a. SL controller.

It contains the same directory as the kernel itself and even issues a warning, when one tries

to unpack it to the same directory, where the kernel already is unpacked.

So, I was wondering...

1) Why 2 kernels ?

2) What exactly is SL controller ?

3) I also noticed, that SWPM 7.20 accepts SL controller 7.00, but there is also SL controller 7.20 available for download...

Please kindly try to bring light into this, I tried to google, but nobody explained it nowhere...

It's like a big common secret - everybody knows about it, but nobody dears to speak about it 😄

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per SUM Guide, SL Controller is as below:

Hope it clarifies.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

1. Kernel for the tool itself and for where you are installing to.

2. Explanation of Software Logistics (SL) on saphelp.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/48/baacb8ca960611e10000000a42189b/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/48/bb7720f5fe307be10000000a42189b/content.htm

The Software Logistics functions standardize and automate the distribution and maintenance of software in complex software landscapes.

Software Logistics provides you with Software Change Management tools that enable you to react flexibly to changing requirements consistently and across different solutions.

3. SL Controol 7.00 for your 700 systems and 7.20 for 7.20 and higher with the new DCK kernels.

This is my understanding I am speaking under correction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johan,

"Kernel for the tool itself and for where you are installing to......"

Please help "kernel for the tool.. which tool?

Regards

BASIS

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Basis,

which tool - the Software Provisioning Manager (a.k.a. sapinst).

SUM (Software Update Manager), the tool which is being used for SAP upgrades is using it as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

When you install SAP ,use SWPM with the SL tool for SWPM version.

And when you want to perform upgrade/support pack installation/EHP upgrade , please use SUM with the SL tool for SUM Version .

But the latest version SL tool would be compatible for both SWPM version and SUM verion of usage.