cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle amortization in billing of equipment rental

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We manufacture and sell capital equipment. We have a pending contract with a customer who wants to rent several of our machines for a period of 6 months or so. Normally, we would handle this type of transaction using a KB consignment order for the actual equipment, then an additional Z order type (ZKB) to handle the actual billing, with a billing plan of type 02 - periodic rentals. (I'm sure there are more sensible ways of doing this, for example with a service contract type or something. This is simply the legacy process we have had in place for years and we only do one of these types of rentals every couple of years or so.) This process has worked fine for us up until now. However, in this case, our regional sales office wants to charge the customer interest on the rental, and has essentially come up with an amortization schedule to include in the monthly payments.

We've never done anything like this before, and I'm not sure how to advise our order processors to handle this. We could simply set this up as we normally do, but then we wouldn't be able to distinguish between the interest and principal parts of the payments from a revenue / accounting standpoint. (We use revenue recognition, by the way.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I spent a lot of time searching before posting this, but didn't find anything that seemed to apply. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

- Greg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Perhaps with a condition where calculate type (in tcode V/06) will be 'G' (formula). After, in the pricing procedure, the value for the condition will be determined by a VOFM formula (a customer VOFM), reading the values in the proper FI-AA tables. So, I believe the contract or SO have to be populated in any field with the ID of the asset. Of course, you must ensure that amortization will be run before the SO or the SD document will be made.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo