cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GRC 10 Upgrade from GRC 5.3 ----AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Hope everything is well, and wanted to pick as much information from you all regarding a GRC 1- AC upgrade which i shall be working on, this is my first upgrade from a Security point of view.

Please can someone advice if they have worked on  GRC 10 AC upgrade which will include CUP too.  From GRC 5.3 ----------> GRC 10

What i am concerned on is the following:

Is this a BASIS activity doing an upgrade or is it a Security responsibility?

Must someone be a Functional or Technical person?

I dont know where I start from on this sort of upgrade and how long does something like this takes and whether its a 1 Security and Authorisation Consultants role or is it for 2 Consultant?

Is it simple or will I get obstacles no doubt?

I know GRC 10 has a extraction tool, to move all data in 5.3 into 10, but is it simple as that?

any suggestions will be most welcomed,

thanks

K

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member193066
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have done few migration.

Is this a BASIS activity doing an upgrade or is it a Security responsibility?

Well, I have done all activity by myself as i had fair bit of basis experience as well.

strongly recommend a basis resource to apply migration tool in SAP GRC5.3 java stack and Plugin on backend systems.

moreover once you have abap system little bit of DB tuning and proper value for DB parameter on instance profile to be maintained,since we schedule lot of background jobs in GRC 10.

There might be lot of document available, i have followed migration guide available on service market place,

That has everything.

Regards,

Prasant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kevin,

I am now working on a GRC migration from 5.3 to 10.0 SP12, and I have worked on several prior such projects.

Is this a BASIS activity doing an upgrade or is it a Security responsibility?- Yes, both Basis and Security team resources are on the team and working together on the install, post install, and configuration steps. Depending on the scope of your project, you may need Portal support, people from the internal controls organization, and People and Change (communications and trainers) experts also.

How many consultants it takes depends on the scope of your project and architecture, timeline, budget, and in-house skillset you can draw on. In other words, it is pretty much like every other SAP project in that aspect. I've seen GRC 10 project teams that had two external consultants, and teams with a dozen+.

IMHO It is not simple. When you take a moment to search the discussions here on SCN and elsewhere, that much becomes evident. However, there are quite a few tools posted here in the GRC section on SCN  to help you get started. Generally, when new folks take the time to look for the tools, review them, and then ask any specific questions, the members here are receptive to answering them. I strongly encourage you to review the blogs and wikis here, and do some searches.

Are you an ASUG member? If so, I also encourage you to check out the presentations given at ASUG 2013; several GRC 10 customer case studies were presented. You will find a link on ASUG.com. There was nothing presented at TechEd2012 on GRC 10, but I am hopeful that gap will be rectified this year.

Good luck!

Gretchen

kevin_tucholke1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Kevin:

I will definitely reiterate Gretchen's comments above.  There are many documents both on SCN and ASUG that will be of great benefit to you in your quest.

One comment that I want to make sure you understand in regards to the 'extraction' tool as you put it.  There are many differences between SAP Access Control v5.3 and v10.0, and while the Migration tool will allow you to export and import data over, I will caution you to understand what this will actually do.  Pay specific attention to Configuration settings and Workflow. 

I do believe that there is a presentation/document from an actual customer with some guidance to what you can/should migrate and what you should not.

Cheers!

Kevin Tucholke

Principal Consultant

SAP America Business Analytics Competency Center.