cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the best WM business process to use pallet strategy?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the use of pallet strategy and am not sure under what kind of warehouse business requirement best using this strategy.

Question:

Does it mean if a warehouse using pallet (i.e. SUT) to store their material in warehouse, that will means this pallet strategy will automatically require to use? However, I personal do not think this is the best way to determine the usage of pallet strategy because It seems most of the warehouse today in any medium size company are using pallet to store their stuffs into the physical bin, and I was told they do not use pallet strategy to search their bin in SAP WM.

Can you advise when to best use pallet strategy in which storage unit related WM transaction will come into the picture?

Regards,

Daniel.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

well, it is always assumed that the material is on a pallet or something else, like a wire cage. But Pallet strategy (which is actually named differently here: http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/c6/f844c44afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/content.htm?framese...) is something else.

It is usable in case you have different sized pallets (and with different size we only mean the base size, not the height) and the ratios between the different pallets has strong fluctuations. Means that you have Europallets (120x80) and industrial pallets (100x120, for example). If you plan you shelfs and know the approximate number for each type, you can plan a certain number of bins to accomodate the expected number of Europallets and industrial pallets. But if the ratio changes, you might not have enough bins for one of the sizes. So with this strategy you section a bin according to what pallet size you have to store.

Hope that helps.

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Juergen,

that is a good business example you provided.

Is there any other scenario in WM operation require such pallet strategy to search their bin?

Rgrds,

Dan

former_member435196
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Pallet strategy is useful when

(1) Fix bins are not allocated to materials. In other word, warehouse requirement is to keep the materials in any of the bins. This  strategy is specifically meant for bin slotting. i.e.divide the bin in to number of slot.

(2) There is requirement to divide one bins in to slots. You can keep the mix pallet ex- IP or EU type in to the number of slot or you have choice to keep either EU or IP pallet. You can set the system such that, once you keep IP pallet then you can not keep EU in to the same bin slot or once you keep EU pallets then you can not fill the bins with IP pallets. You can specify how many  maximum IP or EU or any other pallets you can accommodate in the bin slots. Once the bin slots are full system would automatically switch in to next empty bin strategy.

(3) Pallet strategy can be useful when you are dealing with storage unit and want to print same .

(4) If you want to use storage unit then it is not hard and fast that you should use pallet strategy. You can use other strategy.

Thanks,

Milind

Answers (0)