cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eventdispatcher: no events triggered

0 Kudos

Hi,

facing the problem, Adint+TSM+MaxDB doesn't allow Automatic Log Backup, I want to use the eventdispatcher for a workaround.

But i don't get the maxDB to start the logbackup, when the event is triggered. I even don't know if the event is actually triggered.

System Specs:

• Windows Server 2012
  • MaxDB 7.9.08.05
  • Db-Studio 7.9.08.11

What i did:

• Create D:\sapdb\DBE\data\wrk\DBE\dbm_whitelist.cfg with the entry "backup_start"
  • db-studio --> administration --> Configure Database events --> Activate
  • --> create DB-Event
    • Event LogAboveLimit
    • Prio: Low
    • Value2: >=4 (value2 = %)
    • Command: backup_start adsm_log
  • dbm.prt shows this, when the db-event is configured:
    2013-07-15 10:29:53   5460 INF     33 DBMEdAs of now, the following event mapping is active
    5460 INF     34 DBMEd0000000000.((Name == "LogAboveLimit") && (Priority == 1) && (Value2 >= 4)) = backup_start adsm_log
    2013-07-15 10:29:53    852 INF    419 DBMSrv   Command 'event_dispatcher' has ended with return code 0.

When the Log Area is 3,4 or 5% full - nothing happens.

What could I have done wrong? Where can I see a log? dbm.prt doesn't show more than the above.

best regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

facing the problem, Adint+TSM+MaxDB doesn't allow Automatic Log Backup, I want to use the eventdispatcher for a workaround.

What is the configuration done which stops you from Automatic log backup ?

For database logs refer files dbm.ebf/dbm.mdf

These files contain further information about created backups.

File dbm.ebf is written in case an external backup tool is used for a backup. It then contains the command ID, the backup label, and the external backup id (EBID).

File dbm.mdf contains the command ID, the backup label and current backup medium definition of each backup.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

0 Kudos

Hi,

activating AUTOSAVE crashes either DB Gui or complete database. I didn't look into this issue for 4 or 5 years because it is the same since I started with maxDB.

I tried this on the above mentioned software levels:

Database Studio is showing "<local>: <sid> Activating automatic log backup. --> for about 10 minutes. I can't stop this process, cancel or something else.

D:\sapdb\DBP\data\wrk\DBP\dbm.prt shows:

2013-07-16 09:37:05   3816 INF    283 DBMSrv   Command 'autolog_on ...' is being executed.
2013-07-16 09:37:05   3816 INF      1 DBMKnl   Sending an administrative statement to the database DBP on computer localhost
                      3816 INF      8 DBMKnl   Statement:  AUTOSAVE ON '\\.\pipe\pipe_log'PIPE MEDIANAME 'ADSM_LOG' BLOCKSIZE 8

no entries in dbm.ebf or any other file.

Cancelling the request doesnt work in DB Studio. Closing DB Studio doesnt stop the processes, so I have to kill dbstudio.exe (javaw.exe).

Only killing the processes releases the client connection and allows me restarting DB Studio

2013-07-16 09:54:23    172 INF      1 DBMSrvCo A DBM Server client connection was established at 2013-07-15 08:15:42 (client process has process ID 3076 on computer xxx).
2013-07-16 09:54:23    172 ERR -24811 DBMSrv   ERR_CONNLOST: connection to client lost (error code 10)
2013-07-16 09:54:23    172 INF      2 DBMSrvCo A DBM Server client connection was released (client process has process ID 3076 on computer xxxx).

Now I have the state "automatic log backup". But as far as I remember - the next time auto log backup tries to create a backup - the DB will shut down.

To reproduce the error I tried to restart automatic log backup with "every 10 minutes".

Now I get the error:

SQL error

-903,Host file I/O error

132,Cannot create medium on \\.\pipe\pipe_log with type Pipe

109,Medium on \\.\pipe\pipe_log already created as medium number 10

path        : \\.\pipe\pipe_log

number      : $MEDIA_NO$

is in use   : 1

is opened   : 1

ref count   : 1

file handle : 0x9f0

task id     : 97

even creating a manual backup doesn't work anymore "backup operation was unsuccessfulThe database was unable to fulfill a request (-903, Host file I/O error)."

After restarting the DB Logbackup is working again.

So if you have a good idea how to repair the combination tsm-adint-maxdb - I'd be very happy. But as this status didn't change for years I blamed IBM and looked for other solutions (schedule backups every xxx minutes via Windows-Scheduler + DB-Monitoring&Alerting).

Nonetheless a working event handler like we have in ASE would be nice.

Regards,

Peter