Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File monitoring not working properly in BPMon

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have set up BPMon in Solman 7.1 SP08 ST A/P-I P. I had configured the data collection in back ground and generated and activated the monitor. There are about 10-15 File monitors set up with different time for data collection. The data collection worked well for one day and after that it stopped for few monitors. For the rest of the monitors the data collection continued for 2-3 more days. Then it stopped for all the file monitors setup.

I checked in the managed system and the jobs BPM_DATA _COLLECTION_1 was running but it was not finding any application monitors at the appropriate time and so the data collection was not taking place.

I deactivated all the file monitors, generated and re activated all the monitors. Again the data collection happened for that day. But after that the data collection stopped again. In the alert inbox the last run date and time is of the day I re activated all the monitors.

What can be the reason of such behavior. The BPM_DATA _COLLECTION_1 is running every 5 mins but the data collection is not taking place.

Regards,

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal

The sympton is interesting.

I suspect 3 point.

1.Configuration issue
  (what is the data collection frequency... Do you monitor everyday and certain frequency ?)

2.File Monitor has some issue

3.BPM_DATA _COLLECTION_* has some issue

Which file monitor & key figure do you use "FILMON" under the application monitor ?

Do you know which ST-A/PI version is installed in your managed system ?  (like Q, P, N ?)

If it is the file monitor under the application monitor, do you set background collection flag to your file monitor flag ?

In my image, file monitor checks file for certain directly. (not reading application table like VBAK, VBAP etc). So the check can be very fast. One of the option what you can think of is, instead of using background collection, just collect the inforamtion online mode (remove background collection flag).  Then at least point 3 can be cleared.

Best Regards

Keiji

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Keiji,

I have set up the file monitor from Cross Application --> Interfaces--> File monitoring. Its monitoring ID is BOFILMON.

I have set up the data collection only once a day at a particular time.

I have also removed the data collection in background check again it stops after collecting data for the first time. I have set up data collection daily with a particular start  time and no period during the day.

Also has SAP mentioned anywhere about the load on the system  due to the BPMon configuration.

I want to know how much load will the BPMon data collection put on the managed system as the customers are concerned about that.

Is there any note or any official SAP document which talks about the load on managed system due to BPMOn data collection.

Regards,

Vishal

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal

Regartding on the workload, it really depends on the used monitoring object and table size of
managed system.

Generally specking, backlog monitor (monitors like checking application tables.
e.g overdue purchase order , overdue sales order)  might have some  workload.

So general SAP recommendation is, do not run collector more than once a day.

But this depends on how big our backend system (relevant tables are) and how good your HW.

So if your backend system is like more than 10 Tera bye or more bigger DB size ERP,

probably  these monitor might cause certain workload if  there is no useful indexes to match

selection criteria.

But if the backend system is like less than 1 Tera byte system, then relevant
application tables are not that big. So backlog monitor may finish really quick
(less than 1 min) and it does not cause workload.

So there is no perfect answer to this kind of question.

And as I said in previous replay, file monitoring just check certain directory file,

so it is really quick one. Not cause workload.

If you/your customer has certain concern, better to check in system.

There is 1 SAP document related to workload check in SMP. So please check following document.

http://www.service.sap.com/bpm
=>Media Library
==>Sizing BPMon and Analytics 7.1 SP05

Another way to check the workload is, If the monitor is configured to collect data in background
mode, check the runtime of BPM_DATA _COLLECTION_*.

If the monitor is configured to collect data in online mode, check the runtime in the table DSWP_BPM_TIMESCH and field runtime.

If the runtime is like less than 5 min, I consider its workload is really not that much.

(If the monitor cuase certain workload and it really heavy one, then online data collection may fail due to timeout <you might see timeout dump from SolMan BPMon>. In another word,if the collector finish in online mode and DSWP_BPM_TIMESCH runtime field does not show

big number, then its workload is not that much).

I hope this information help you.

Best Regards
Keiji Misima