Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

row or column table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

consider this...

I have a set of data in a table, that contains 3 columns.

the first is a Train Station ID, the second and third columns are latitude and longitude.

so, as only the lat and long fields can be barely compressed, and the Train Station ID is unique so not compression, what should I set the table type to.

This table will typically be for plotting on maps, and likely to be linked to another table which will have more information about the actual Train Station, e.g. address, area, state ...

Please do not recommend to merge the table's data together, as it is not politically possible.

ta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

I'd suggest to go with Column table. Row tables are mostly used with the data having very frequent changes. Your Train station data is unlikely to be modified very frequently and hence it need not be row store.

Also I think the in multi node scenario, the row store tables are stored on the main node. I am not very sure about this.

In all, if the data is expected to be used for reporting and not for table lookups, then it should be column store.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Ravindra

that was my thoughts too

cheers

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

Do you have any idea as to why we can't create views(Attribute etc) on top of Row Store tables?

I know all these Views are technically defined as column views but even still sometimes we might need a row store table for creating a views - (at present we have to convert row table to column table) - this might be due to optimizations of HANA engines

But still we should also have an option to create views based on row store tables

I tried to find answer but couldn't get one.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

As your table has only three fields and all are going to be used - so its is better that you go for a row store table.

But if you are going to build any views on top of this table - then go for Column Store as you can't create attribute and analytic views on row store tables - (one of the limitations of HANA)

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi vivek

that was my thoughts too

cheers