cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BusinessObjects Dynamic Parameter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We have Business Objects XI. We have not been able to get any reports with dynamic parameters to load.

All other reports load fine. Do you have any ideas why this is happening?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say "dynamic parameter" I assume this is a Crystal Report.  Is that correct?  If it is, dynamic parameters are configured in the Business View Manager (BVM).  So, even if you create it in your report and upload it to BO with the report, you still have to go to the BVM, which is part of the Client Tools, to configure it.  In the BVM, you'll need to look at the following:

1.  <prompt name>_DC - This is the Data Connection.  Make sure that it has the appropriate login information (including password) to connect to your database.

2.  <prompt name> - This is the List of Values.  There are a number of configuration things that can be done here.  Probably the most important is to schedule the LOV to run on a periodic basis.  This will make the report load times faster.

The other parts of a Business View are:

1.  Data Foundation (_DF):  This is the query that runs to provide the prompts.

2.  Business Element(<field name>_BE):  These are the individual fields that can be included in prompts.

3.  Business View (_BV): This is the set of Business Elements to include in a prompt.

4.  Prompt Group (- Prompt Group):  This is the actual parameter definition.

Once a dynamic prompt has been uploaded to the repository, any changes to it should be done in the BVM and NOT in Crystal!  If you make the changes in Crystal and upload to the repository when publishing the report, is will not overwrite the existing parameter.  Instead it will create a new one that needs to be configured in the BVM to get it to work.

Also, you can create dynamic parameters from scratch in the BVM.  This way they can be created from simple queries that may connect to just one or two tables instead of being created from a more complicated query that is actually used to run a report.  This makes the data load for the parameter faster and more efficient.  Once a parameter is configured in the BVM, it can be used in any Crystal Report after the report developer logs in to BOE from Crystal.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would request you to elaborate further.

-- What is the exact BO version?

-- Are you dealing with Crystal Reports or Webi reports?

-- When you say parameters, you mean prompts right?

-- When you say unable to load, are you unable to schedule Or unable to refresh?

-- Is it happening on single machine or multiple machines?

-- Is it happening with single user or multiple users?

If you are facing issues while refreshing Webi reports, I would also like to know the web browser version and JVM version on client machine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yvraj,

Thank you for responding. Please see  my responses below

-- What is the exact BO version?

We are using Business Objects XI Release 2

-- Are you dealing with Crystal Reports or Webi reports?

Crystal Reports

-- When you say parameters, you mean prompts right?

Yes, when I say parameters I mean prompts.

-- When you say unable to load, are you unable to schedule Or unable to refresh?

The reports run fine in my crystal reports client version installed on my   

machine, however when I try and post the report to BO XI it just hangs and

eventually times out.

-- Is it happening on single machine or multiple machines?

Muliple machines          

-- Is it happening with single user or multiple users?

Multiple users

If you are facing issues while refreshing Webi reports, I would also like to know the web browser version and JVM version on client machine.

Our vendor has suggested that maybe BO is looking for additional    

credentials/permission when trying to run the dynamic parameters.