cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI 740 Dual stack system Upgrade by SUM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

I have 740 PI system(ABAP+JAVA) currently at SPS01. We need to upgrade it to SPS02.

I upgraded the ABAP part from SPS01 to SPS02 by disabling java part(Making it as pure ABAP system), created xml for ABAP part and upgraded the same with SUM successfully.

Now i activated the java part and now i want to upgrade Java stack also to SPS02.

Is is possible to upgrade Java stack only in Dual Stack(ABAP+JAVA) system separately when ABAP stack is already upgraded??? I have generated xml for java stack but that stack is not working.

As this is 740 system so JSPM is obsolete. Please do not suggest about JSPM.

Is is possible in SUM to upgrade dual stack system as from 740 system there is no concept of Dual Stack(Dual stack split tool is there)? And also please suggest now what should i do as i already upgraded ABAP stack.

Regards,

Surojit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

yes it is possible to upgrade Java stack only in Dual Stack(ABAP+JAVA) system separately when ABAP stack is already upgraded.

We had updated the ABAP via SAINT, and while updating the java stack, start the SUM with the command "STARTUP.BAT javaonly" as given in note #2020219

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SUM will perform ABAP+Java, Java only, or ABAP only; I don't know of any reason why SUM wouldn't work if you have performed the ABAP portion already.

Are you instructing SUM to use a stack.xml file for the system or did select manual and point it at the folder with all of your SCA files?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Billy,

I tried both option Manual Directory/stack xml file. None of them are working.

I have performed in-numerous EHP's\SPS stack upgrade by SUM but that's either for ABAP only or for JAVA only. I never worked on Dual stack.

So i am worried that whether doing ABAP part beforehand in dual-stack causes problem or not? Is it ok in DUAL STACK systems to upgrade both part separately.

Regards,

Surojit

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would think as long as you are running the newest version of SUM (1.0 SP07) that it should just work.

Other thoughts, SUM might be upset if it was ran before and it saved something; can you delete the entire SUM folder and re-extract and kick it back off to see if it still gives the same issue?

When you tried the stack file, was this a new one that knows about the SPs that you performed on the ABAP side; or did you use the same one that was generated for the ABAP SPs?

The main reason why I am leaning towards SUM doing both stacks, is due to SolmanUP being moved aside to make way for SUM for the upgrades of 7.01 SolMans to 7.1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bill & Surojit,

I am in exactly the same boat as Surojit.  I recently installed a PI 740 dual stack system, which already included SP2.  I wanted to run the PI Configuration Wizard but thought I should first update to the latest SP3 stack.

Not knowing that I had to use SUM to patch, I just used SPAM to update the ABAP stack to SP3.  This worked without any issues.  It was not until I tried to install some J2EE updates required for the PI Configuration Wizard that I found I could not even use JSPM.  It would not even come up.

I then set up the system in our Solution Manager system so that I could create a proper J2EE stack and a correct XML file, thinking that I needed to have a stack and XML file to update the system via SUM.  When I did this, SUM brought up both a Java and an ABAP 'tab', and SUM ran through the motions and appeared to finish in the Java tab.  However, the ABAP tab still needed to finish and when I proceeded it did notice that I was already on SP3 and said that there was nothing to update.  The session did appear to only update igs, SAP JVM, and saphostagent to newer levels (these were also part of the stack downloaded via Solution Manager).

Because of this, I could not finish the SUM session, or get to the 'Finalization' stage.

So, in order to try something different, I did remove the SUM directory and recreated it by running SAPCAR on the SUM.SAR file (now you can get version 8).  I tried the 'manually prepared directory' option on this second try, pointing to my stack of J2EE files and XML file that were in ....EPS/in,

and similar to before, the only thing SUM detected that it would install were the igs, SAP JVM, and saphostagent sar files.  It totally disregarded the SCA J2EE files.  So, because igs, SAP JVM and saphostagent were already updated earlier, I exited out of the installation.

Per note 1641062, it appears that you can't install SCA files to new SP levels, but it does not advise what tool to use to install new support package SCA files.  It mentions that 'SCAs that are available in the system UTL cannot be updated to higher SP level (Reason ID: 002, 005)'. 

OK, fine, so what can we use to update SPs on the Java stack?

Is there a separate tool to do what JSPM did so well in the past?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eunice Griffin,

how did you solved this, I am facing the same proble.

thks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Miguel,

We have VMWare so I had a clone made of the original system before I updated it, started over and used SUM to update both the Java and ABAP stack.  The process was fairly smooth as there are two tabs that give you the progress for the ABAP stack and the Java stack.  The only thing I didn't like about it is that is made a shadow copy of the ABAP stack, so I was prompted that I needed more disk space for both the database and the drive (usually your D:\usr\sap\<SID>) because the process creates a shadow instance, similar to in an upgrade situation.

At the successful completion of the update (in my case first to SP3, and then I updated again to SP5), I was prompted to send answer a satisfaction survey, and I complained how I had to use SUM to update both stacks.  Surprisingly, I got a response from SAP saying that in my case, I could have still used SPAM to update the ABAP stack, and then SUM to update the Java stack, but as I said in my post from before, SUM only seemed to detect the basic .sar files and none of the SCA files.  The SAP person said that if I update the ABAP stack with SPAM and the Java with SUM, it would not create a shadow instance.  I never attempted this as it didn't seem to work for me in my earlier attempt.

If you have a dual stack, I would advise that you just downloaded the very latest SUM available, and use SUM to patch both the ABAP and Java stack.  Be prepared for messages if you don't have enough disk space in your database, or the drive where you have /usr/sap/...  You will need plenty of disk space, which unfortunately gets freed up again after the update.

Good luck.  With both the SP3 and SP5 upgrades, I used different versions of SUM, and the later versions are much more stable.

Eunice Griffin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally we decided to add an addon for the abap stack, then all ran ok.

thaks for your support.