cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record with wrong field length fails in SAP CRM but not in PI in a File-PI-ABAP Proxy (CRM) scenario !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have this scenario where some .DAT file is picked and the Data is updated in Tables in CRM system upon successful processing in PI.

Its not exaclty an issue but an observation and for which I want to know a reason and solution as well.

The .DAT file contains a field whose data length is more than what I have specified in my DataType's maximum length parameter.

And proxy structure at CRM side also has same length of the field as mentioned in PI structure for that perticular field.

And as I process the file in PI, it gets successfully processed but gets failed in CRM system citing the reason the field length has exceeded.

They want us to implement some solution for this in PI itself to curb such data from reaching to CRM.

Can anyone please explain why the message did not fail in PI itself when a field in message has a length more than what is set in PI ?

And please can anyone explain the solution for this so that such data errors are handled in PI itself rather than later getting failed in SAP CRM !!

Regards

Saurabh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

Unless you go for the option in Sender agreement below, the message would bypass PI for any validation check.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi saurabh,

in pi at runtime it will take input values as string no matter what the length is..correct me if am wrong.

say you have name field and you have mentioned length 10 in data type. if you send message name is having length 11. it will not thrown an error by default.

if you want thrown an error in such cases you have to go for xml validation.

if you are at pi7.3 then you can easily check and thrown an error at pi level. follow below link.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/02/15/michals-pi-tips-xml-validation--c...

if you are at pi7.11 follow this.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d026d253-3108-2c10-69a0-a5460fc1f...

i feel PI7.3 is much better for xml validation.

Regards,

Muniyappan.