Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we use SE11 to create tables in HANA

former_member196490
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have few queries regarding the use of HANA database.

First In SAP Netweaver 7.4, the OLTP systems are using row storage or column storage of HANA.

Second since  SAP Netweaver 7.4 is optimized for HANA, do the new records created through standard SAP transactions stored in HANA database.

Third, What happens to the Data dictionary method (SE11) of creating table. Which database would these tables be stored.

Fourth, also I unterstand that we have a new option to get the HANA views in the data dictionary, from where would the data in these views come from.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are going to use SAP system on HANA :

1. Then if you create a table : by default it will be Column Store but you can change it to either Row or Undefined during creation time

2. If you are using HANA as a database for SAP system then yes the new records will be stored in HANA

3.Yes you can use SE11 to create a table in SAP System on HANA

But if you are using HANA Studio to access HANA - there are no T-Codes there

You have to use SQL Statements or Create tables via GUI

4. These views directly access ERP tables present in HANA database

You can learn more here :

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-35002

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-35518

former_member196490
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am little confused, If we create a Dbtable using SE11 on HANA database, will it be visible through HANA studio

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, it will be visible

for that you can install ABAP Development Tool plugin IN HANA Studio

You can check Thomas's video on ABAP on HANA given at OpenSAP course :

https://open.sap.com/videos/75?module_item_id=172

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually ADT may not be required to view the database tables, you may directly see the tables in the schema assigned for the NetWeaver 7.4.

A schema is basically a collection of database objects.

So when you install a NetWeaver on top of HANA DB, it creates a Schema with the name "SAP<SID>". All the application tables from that particular system will be in this schema

So even when you use the SE11, in the background the tables are stored in this particular schema.

Data Views are DDIC Views which are built on top of HANA Artifacts (Attribute Views, Analytic Views...). HANA artifacts are where you do the calculations, joins etc. using HANA engines.

--Shreepad

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

The studio is just another front end tool for the database. So if the table is created in HANA, for sure you will be able to see it in the studio under the schema for ABAP user. (Refer to Tables system view)

You can also check if the generated table is ROW store or COLUMN store.

Regards,

Ravi

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah,

You have a Schema for your SAP system in HANA in which you can look for all the tables without ADT

That time i was reading about ADT only........... so only it was on my mind...

But  ADT is very helpful as after installing ADT in HANA you get one more perspective called ABAP Development - using this you can connect to your Source SAP System and would be able to make changes even in the program directly that you wrote in ABAP on your SAP system

But your SAP System should be on atleast Netweaver 7.3 to be able to use this Plugin

On installing ADT, you can directly work on HANA Objects and ABAP programs at the same time

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

As per my knowledge, I am attempting to answer your queries.

All the database tables used by the ABAP server are stored in a dedicated database schema in HANA. The ABAP server connects to the database with a user of the same name.

When writing a piece of ABAP code involving database access (usually an Open SQL statement), the ABAP kernel  and DBSL (database specific library) translate this to a native SQL call to the database system and pass the result back into the ABAP data structures.

Open SQL is embedded into the ABAP language and provides a database independent syntax and semantics based on a subset of the SQL standard, which is common to all supported database. It is tightly integrated with ABAP data dictionary; in particular Open SQL allows only access to tables and views created via the SE11 in the default schema.

Native SQL plays a more important role on SAP HANA as it fully exploits the power of SAP HANA.

For detailed explanation you can go through ABAP for HANA blogs through the below link

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/hana/blog

Hope this answers your queries.

Regards,

Rashmi