cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartest way to put arriving products to inspection if multisourcing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Ths will be my first post ever here Hurray!!

Tried the search functions but did not really found what I was looking for.

Here it goes

Wanted help/scenario:

To know if it is possible (and how) to activate a product for quality inspection from a specific vendor when the material handler is doing goods receipts

Background:

We source products to our production plant via traditional purchasing orders

All products have info records and source lists

We have several vendors that supply us with the same product. Sometime we do have quality issues from a specific vendor on a product.

Today we only use QM so if we have quality issues, all arriving goods on a specific product, regardless vendor, will be inspected and put to blocked stock . Yes I know, not good and it costs a lot of time.

So how to set up QM so it can stop incoming product from a specific vendor. Not stopping all vendors and not stopping a vendors other products that are okey.

Greatful for all the help I can get.

Ps I am just a Quality Assurence manager so keep the language simple so I don´t have to ask 10 more questions

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You want to look at using manufacturer part numbers for this.  This allows the same product, that can be sourced from multiple manufacturers and via multiple vendors.  This allows you to qualify both the vendor and manufacturer separately.  So for instance you have product "IT".   You will have an internal product number for "IT" which is used in all your BOM's, Sales orders, planning, etc...  In the purchasing view you assign a manufacturer part profile to it.  This tells the system that you intend to order via manufacturer part numbers.

"IT" is then linked to a number of other material numbers (Material type HERS - manufacturer part).  These are pretty slim material masters with only two views.

Your manufacturers are also setup with special vendor numbers.

Now, using your source lists,  info records, and the Approved Manufacturer's Part List (Transaction AMPL),  you can directly control both manufacturers and vendors.

For instance, you qualify vendor A and vendor B and Manufacturer M1 and M2.  Then you qualify vendor A to supply M1 and M2 product.  But you qualify vendor B to only be able to provide M1.

Vendor C and M3 come along.  You can qualify Vendor C and fail M3.  You can decide to tell Vendor C he can provide you material but only if they get it from M1 or M2.  M3 is blocked and no vendor, A,B, or C can provide M3 material.

Quality inspection (and dynamic modification) is based on the manufacturer and both the vendor number and mfg number is in the inspection lot.  Control charts can be done on a mfg level.

Here's a link to some SAP help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/75/ee15c655c811d189900000e8322d00/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_di46c2/helpdata/en/08/a111094d7611d2b438006094b9c9be/content.htm

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/106f94ee-8dc2-2a10-a485-882871fa5...

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for a great reply FF

I went to work today and asked the department with  the "master data uploaders" how we defaulting the inspection plans on the products we procure.

The answer is that we do not have any incoming inspection per default. But they assign an inspection plan for each and every product. That inspection plan is to always skip and never take any samples etc.

So with that in mind...

Could you then add another inspection plan to that product but to inspect every GR on Material/Vendor combination.

You wrote about using manuf. part id and vendor. I think that might be a great idéa on components for our module production, but my main issue here is Standard Modules that will be put on shelf as Pick from Stock SM:s. So the vendors are producing the product we have specified a function description on. That product we will then have produced and procured from different vendors.

I lost my self here....don´t really know what the red thread was

I´ve serch some other posts you wrote and there is one

Skip Inspection lot based on Vendor

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3284492

What I say is that we have always skip lot on a product but want to do the opposit. Not skip lot based on material/vendor

Have a nice day.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Inspection is either on or off based on the inspection type set up in the material master.

If your business is to have an inspection plan that always skips inspection than why do you even have the 01 inspection type activated anyway for the material?  Seems of a waste of time to create inspection plans that never get used.

When you use skip lots, your inspection plans can be assigned on a material/vendor basis or, if you use manufacturer part numbers as I described, you can assign them on a material/manufacturer basis.  So that way each vendor (or manufacturer) can have their own unique inspection process including their own skip lot process. So if you want a vendor or mfg. to be inspected all the time, create and assign an inspection plan that doesn't use a DMR for skip lots.

So you should have two plans for each material.  One with skip lots, and one without. Assign the one with skip lots to the material.  Assign the one without skip lots to the appropriate vendor/material combination.

FF

Answers (0)