cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename ESS development component

davidchin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, we are in the process of customizing the ESS Leave Request component.  We want to rename the component so instead of sap.com/ess~lea the name of the component is mycompany.com/ess~lea. 

I am able to make all changes, compile, build and deploy the renamed component.  The sap.com/ess~lea has also been undeployed in SDM.   However, when I try to bring up the app using mycompany.com/ess~lea I get this error

com.sap.tc.webdynpro.services.exceptions.WDRuntimeException: Failed to create deployable object 'sap.com/ess~lea' since it is not a Web Dynpro object.

Why is it trying to call the sap.com/ess~lea version?  Is there some configuration setting that I missed?  Is renaming the component even possible?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David.

if you want to see your code changes reflected in the portal , the first thing to do is to create a new FPM link from  PCD  to point to the new components to which you've changed the name, once it generated you must change it in the properties of the application. in your NWDS >> "aplication properties" change the value of the "sap.xss.BaseConfiguarationID" for the new FPM link . make  build, perform Deploy and you will see changes in your site.

Hope it help you!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

no, it is not possible since that DC is delivered by SAP. If you create a new DC in your own custom SC then of course you can specify an arbitary vendor, namespace prefix, and DC name.

Best Regards,

Ervin

davidchin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks for your reply.  I have created a new DC and copied all the code from sap.com/ess~lea.  I was able to deploy it.  But to do so I had to undeploy the sap.com/ess~lea because the package names were the same in both DC's. 

The problem is when I try and bring up my version of lea it is trying to bring up sap.com/ess~lea even though it has been undeployed.

I am puzzled as to why sap.com/ess~lea is trying to be run.  The iview I created is clearly pointing to my custom DC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

First off, what versions of SAP NetWeaver and SAP backend are you using? It sounds to me like you are not familiar with the basics on how to customize ESS/MSS applications. The only supported way is to use NWDI. Are you using it? Technically it is possible to create a new DC without NWDI but there are a lot of manual steps involved and you won't find any official documentation about it.

davidchin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes we are using NWDI.  What we are trying to do is rename the development component and make our custom changes in the renamed component.  The reason for this to separate the delivered SAP DC from our customized DC.  Is it normal practice to just make custom changes in the SAP delivered DC? Or should we rename the DC?   If we use the SAP DC then how will updates from SAP be handled so they do not over write our custom code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the requirement is to modify standard SAP components and to still allow updates from SAP, you will need to follow the parallel track approach described in the NWDI cookbook. SAP note 872892 for details. If the requirement is to also create custom DCs, you should create a custom SC as pointed out by .

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/872892

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

how you make the change?

davidchin
Explorer
0 Kudos

I created a new java webdynpro project in NWDS with the new name.  Copied all the source and needed files from sap.com/ess~lea.  Rebuild then deploy.