Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in regulations

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sometimes a change in regulatory content affects business processes. What is the leading practice to handle such changes? The Class a given material belongs to is changed, how does this affect the specification database, DG Master, DG Checks? How would business be notified by this change? Is there a leading practice to handle such a change since it greatly affects existing business processes?

Thank you,

Sruthi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The topic of change management is a huge one. It can mean anything from organizational change, master data change, manufacturing process change, product change and so forth. One of the business challenges is how to involve all of the right people to ensure that the risk of change is managed. The most common pain point is that changes are not reviewed by the right people and the business is put at risk. For example, what if a small change to how we manufacture the product results in an unintended problem for the customer? What if we automate the plant and reduce staffing but end up with insufficient staff from a safey and security perspective? What if that great continuous improvement idea is implemented without the environmental engineer's review and it results in a permit violation?

SAP Management of Change is a new solution (available one year) that is specifically designed to handle the collaboration process so that changes are reviewed at a level appropriate to the risk they introduce. In your example, you could configure a change type for material change and then manage reivew, approval, and follow-on activities to ensure that all of the right things are considered and all of the right updates are made.

More information can be found in this brochure:

Reducing Operational Risk with SAP Management of Change

http://download.sap.com/download.epd?context=DF04A361DBC0796EDC5A4727A5ECC2D07671D362953BB191E60C2A8...

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

I would be happy if you could create a document regarding SAP Management of Change. I am not aware of a "FORUM" here (do we have one?).

As you have described: it is a very new solution. It does have some benefits.

I would appreciate if you could describe on high level integration points of SAP Management of Change.

E.g. is it integrated with:

SAP GTS

Component Extension of EHS

SAP Reach and Compliance Suite

and other solutions of SAP regarding sustainability

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good idea to start a forum. I'll see if I can get some help on that.

MOC has integration to ERP including plant maintenance functional location, equipment, material, documents, maintenance order, maintenance notification. Also POs and PO items. For a full list, look them in customizing: Settings for Reference Objects > Define Object Types.

In EHSM 3.0, there is integration from MOC to create a "simulated risk assessment" in EHSM. In EHSM 4.0, there is a new task type "create change request" that works similarly to the one for "create PM notification" in that it is available in incident management and in risk assessment.

Based on customer feedback, additional integration points are planned for the next release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As fas as I know, the possibility to create a change request from Incident Management tasks is already available in support package 03 of EHSM 3.0.

"Change requests in SAP Management of Change (New)

When processing an incident, you can use the new Change Request task type to create a change request in SAP Management of Change from within the incident management application. To enable this, you must activate the integration in Customizing between the incident management application and SAP Management of Change."

Full content: https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000735607&_SCENARIO=011000358700000002...

I´m working with EHSM 3.0 now, and i´m curious about the new/enhanced functionality of 4.0... is there some information already available on it? It was planned for the end of the year, right?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

EHSM 4.0 is RTC July 29, 2013 - so just a few short weeks. I presented a few slides of preview at the ASUG annual conference in May and members can access that presentation. Some highlights of new functionality include

• Enhanced risk assessment process by creating risk-based proposal for health surveillance; ŸHealth surveillance proposal integration to either SAP EH&S Occupational Health or to third party occupational medicine solution (downported to EHSM 3.03, so available today)
  • Managing chemical health and safety processes
    • Chemical approval process and data entry
    • Enhanced risk assessment process by leveraging chemical data including support for mixtures and identification of exposures to be monitored
    • Usage of chemical data for hazardous material inventory reporting
    • Hazard communication - chemical safety instruction
  • Risk-based inspections (ability to create question lists and inspections for risk controls, example risk = fire, risk control = fire extinguisher, control questions = is it in the correct location? is it charged? is it labeled?)
  • Global Label Management - label authoring improvements; new label workbench
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the update on EHSM 4.0 !

Regards,

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks, Mary. It sounds very interesting, a lot of new functionalities... It seems that SAP is really going for this new solution...

i have been looking for your presentation in ASUG, but cant find it... Could you share the link with us?

Thanks again,

Irene

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://www.asugonline.com/asug-annual-conference/session-presentations/2013-asug-annual-conference-s...

Then go to the Product Lifecycle Management section. The presentation number is 2702

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the link !

Regards,

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary

Thanks for sharing link

Regards

Balajee

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the link!

Regards,

Sruthi

dhinsap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Irene,

I am a novice in SAP MOC. IS there any documentation regarding best practice document for SAP MOC 100.Icould not find anywhere. Please share as i could not find anywhere except the Application help.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Ali_ben
Participant
0 Kudos
christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi

don't know what you mean by using this sentence: "the Class a given material belongs to is changed, "

I try it the other way around: in SAP EHS you can prepare e.g. Workflows if needed. On the top you can implement MSDS regeneration if needed. There is no general best practise available  to handle changes in EHS. Therefore there is no answer to your question. Any company handles it different (either using SAP standard tools or own developed one)

C.B.

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Christoph,

I was referring to the DG Class. As per DG regulations, all DG materials have an associated class (like Explosives, Reactive etc). I think there are all in all 9 classes available (internationally) to classify materials on these grounds.

What i meant by material class changing was, after we maintain DG data, if the regulations change the class for a certain material, say, MAterial X belongs to Class 1 initially. Later on if the class of the material changes to class 2 (say updated regulations), how can business be notified of this change through EHS, how does it affect subsequent processes..?

thank you,

Sruthi

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi

still not sure what you are looking for. E.g. if DG class per material is changed it can happen that you must use now different "package material" to deliver the material according to the regulation. On Top clearly a new SDS/MSDS is needed. As mentioned in my answer: any company does have different processes/procedure to handle changes in EHS (either with use of EHS tools (like workslow) or without.

Next topic is: who is the "business"? in your context. The answer depends on the internal organisation of a company. As mentioned. using EHS you can e.g. automatically regenerate SDS/MSDS (but somebody need to still release new version in most cases).

E.g. may be check this document: How to deal with legal/regulatory changes (using SAP EHS MANAGEMENT)?

This is providing only a "very high level" overview of the challenges from legal and regulatroy point of view.

E.g. if you use the services from SAP: in principle the "technical" part of MOC can be done by SAP. BUt for the organisational part (e.g. now you must use may be a different packaging) you are at the end responsible

C.B: