cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about transaction logs application to the target system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a below doubt. Can I please have your thoughts?

Source system A , Target System B

DB=MS SQL

OS= Windows

We have installed system B ( DB=MS SQL ) by homogenous system copy procedure on 28/06/2012. [ Source system A ]

Now System B is up and running.

I have transaction log for source system A till today.

Can I apply these transaction logs of system A to system B? [ Database of system B is in online state. Do I need to put it in RESTORING state ? ]

Regards,

Arpit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arpit,

I don't think, I know No, you can't apply them anymore for simple reasons.

As you explain you have restored the database of system A on system B (e.g. by using a full backup only or a full backup and some transaction log backups or by using detach attach).

Regardless of which method you have used - as soon as you open the DB it starts its own timeline. You cannot apply transaction log backups from system A anymore once you have opened the restored DB on system B.

Regards,

Beate

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Nibu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You have opened the Database , and I dont think you can apply the transaction log of System A to here now . You can restore the transaction logs of system B itself , not the ones of system A .You should have done the same during the restore procedure . And it should be in sequence , one by one .

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arpit

In MS SQL every day you can truncate the Transactional log and also you can perform this process  online (its not require to bring DB in restoring

mode)

Kindly go thru the SAP Note 1420452 - FAQ: Restore and recovery with MS SQL Server  - FAQ - 17

Thanks

Sriram