cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII: What browsers and CLIENT JRE versions are supported? How do we make future compatible MII applications?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How do we find out what Java and Browser versions are supported with SAP MII, especially the applets (iSpcChart, iBrowser, iGrid, iCommand etc.)

I have been trying the PAM but it only cares about the server side requirements/support of MII (i.e. NW JAS), not the client side requirments/support (ie. browser and java versions).

We're about to roll out our year delayed project in a few months, and now I just discover that Java 1.6.0 is out of public support from Oracle and therefore must be expected to experience update throughout our global enterprise!

I would like to evaluate the risks / the expected cost/changes that is to be expacted before it works again when our enterprise rolls out a major version upgrades of the browser (IE8->IE9) and java (1.6 to 1.7 or 1.8). What is to be expected to "get it to work again" when these changes hit. Can it be done or are the MII core applets broken beyond repair when the newest versions hit?

Thank you very much in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member211944
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mogens,

I would not be able to clarify all your doubts but could provide you the following information:

1. MII does not specifies any particular browser limitations. But MII screens are built on Webdynpro and Webdynpro has support for IE and Firefox thus these restrictions applies for MII also.

2. MII does not specifies any particular JRE version also. It depends totally on the Netweaver server on which MII is deployed. If the Netweaver specifies some restrictions on JRE version then it would become applicable on the applications deployed on that Netweaver server also.

Regards,

Rohit Negi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit Negi.

Are any of you out there using SAP MII 12.2 applets (iCommand, iSPCChart, iChart, iBrowser, iGrid etc.) on Java 7 or Java 8? IE9?

Does it work flawlessly?

Rohit, our biggest worry right now is not at all the server side software as (we believe ) we can control the server software in all the details we want.

It is the client software versions, and especially the JAVA version, that worries us a lot.

Historically, with every other JAVA update our 200-400-600 users recieved from central sources or installed manually, our JAVA applet based application was more or less malfunctioning.

I still with pain recall the complete JRE re-implementation Sun released from jre 1.6.0.14 to 1.6.0.17 (in just 3 minor build version numbers they completely re-implemented the JRE, security and sandbox models etc. etc.). We had to work weeks to make the applications work again.

About a month ago an urgent critical JRE security update was rolled outinstantly from central IT throughout our complete enterprise.

A lot of critical enterprise applications started behaving differently including our SAP MII 12.2.6 based "almost ready to to go-live" application which completely deadlocked because of security warning boxes that either did pop up warning about unsafe SAP MII code mixed with safe thrusted code but the OK-buttons could not be clicked - or the popup did not come.

We only have an ugly client-based work-around (disable the security warning!) because we cannot fix the SAP MII applet security problems.

(luckily our current years-overdue-to-be-replaced xMII 11.5.6 based critical application did not experience any problems).

And now we discover that we face the MAJOR upgrade to Java 7 or 8 - it might be forced upon us in a few weeks or months due to "urgent security reasons".

So this is very client JAVA version requirement is critical to us.

I couldn't find any webdynpro in the PAM 2.0, but to me it looks seems just like a standard NW based GUI not at all requiring anything but AJAX compatible browser - not requiring java. The SAP MII Java applets naturally require Java to work. But which CLIENT version of Java does SAP MII work on or even officially "support"? None officially?

Answers (0)