Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB-related transactions don't work...

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I've recently performed a minimalistic installation of NetWeaver 2004. I have chosen MaxDB as database,

as the idea is to use the minimum possible hardware resources.

After the installation was finally done, I found out, that no DB-releated transaction is working. In the majority

of the cases I am receiving the error message "Table versions not found in the database", which doesn't

return even a single hit on a google search! So I'm really confused.

This is for ST02 and ST04, DB13 returned a dump last time. Only the dbacockpit transaction displayed

a screen, but I was unable to see or click on nothing there...

I'm assuming that maybe some standard job has to run for the first time, in order to feed those transactions

with the first data to display, but I am far from sure...

Also I would be thankful if you could tell me, if there is a transaction in SAP where one can directly write

SQL queries to the DB. As most of my current experience is with Oracle only, I find working with MaxDB

really weird and cumbersome...

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the error message -> "Table versions not found in the database", means that the table named VERSIONS has not been created in the database.

Please check with the following command if the table VERSIONS exists in the database.

SELECT * from TABLES where TABLENAME = 'VERSIONS'

Did you load the system tables after the isntallation of MaxDb?

Regards, Christiane

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo Christiane,

thanks for the reply... I didn't load any system tables manually, I just executed the 2 steps of

sapinst - the first one about installing the CI and then the second one which installs and loads the DB.

Pls kindly advise how to execute this select from the command prompt:

SIDadm> dbmcli ... and what to type there ?

dbmcli select ...

or the whole complicated syntact with -u -... whatever options...

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can run any SQL comamnd using

- > database studio in an SQL Editor

or

-> dbmcli -U w sql_execute Select .....

or

->  sqlcli -U w select * from ......

Please use database Studio to load your system tables as well explicitely.

Which database version do you use?

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo Christiane,

thanks for your reply, but now I'm stuck with another problem...

I had run SGEN, but the DB got stuck and SAP wouldn't even stop. So I found how to stop the DB:

dbmcli -U db_offline or something like this... But then it wouldn't even start. So, I did something, which is probably not the smartest thing in the world 😄 I typed: > DISKL001.

Now it won't start at all, I've got the following error in startdb.log:

6,Internal errorcode, Error code 9050 "disk_not_accessible"

Is this recoverable somehow? Luckily, I have a backup right after the installation 😉 Backing up ALWAYS pays off, egh ? Hence, I'd lose "just" 3 nights of running SGEN (just to get to the lousy 24%!) Or perhaps I could just copy the (almost) empty file off the backup VM ?

PLEASE tell me how do I switch off archive logging on MaxDB (pls explain like you'd explain to an idiot, with the whole command starting with dbmcli ...

I found "set log writer off" on google, but when I type dbmcli set log writer off , it gives me an error.

Thanks a lot!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

ups - it sounds you corrupted your log volume area. An empty file won't help here because each volume has a so called header entry which identifies a file as MaxDb volume.

So you are right a recovery is necessary first. Please use the HOW to about recovery via DBMCLI https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/HowTo+-+SAP+MaxDB+recovery+with+Database+Manager+CLI  or the FAQ note 1377148.

To deactivate the archive log area completely a minimum MaxDb version is precondition.

Please check FAQ note 869267 which tells you how to deactivate the log area.

But notice you first must execute a recovery , restart the database into online mode and then you can deactivate the Log archiving.

Addiotnally you should use the following documentation about DBMCLI

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/ac/a5f596efba439db3b5e719010fac33/frameset.htm

Regards, Christiane

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo Christiane,

Thanks a lot for your help!! I had a mixed success...

1) I checked your document and tried to recover the DB where I had tried to purge the log.

I used the autorecover command, but it didn't work:

autorecover

ERR

-24988,ERR_SQL: SQL error

-9209,System error: KB Log error

Is it possible to do something in order to recover it ? If no, never mind, I barely care 😉

2) Which is actually more interesting... I turned off the logging, but the size of the file in

/sapdb/log/<SID> didn't change at all, like I didn't do nothing. Even after starting the DB.

How could I reduce its size and regain the space that it is using ?

3) I have checked with the select that you recommended - both the tables VERSION and VERSIONS seem to exist:

dbmcli on SID>sql_execute SELECT * from TABLES where TABLENAME='VERSIONS'

OK

END

'DOMAIN';'SUPERDBA';'VERSIONS';'SEL+';'SYSTEM';'VIEW';'20130619';'00232358';(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);;x'000000000000028C';(null);(null);(null);(null)

'';'SUPERDBA';'VERSIONS';'SEL+';'SYNONYM';'SYNONYM';'20130619';'00232358';(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);;x'00000000000002CF';(null);(null);(null);(null)

---

dbmcli on SID>sql_execute SELECT * from TABLES where TABLENAME='VERSION'

OK

END

'SYSINFO';'SUPERDBA';'VERSION';'SEL+';'SYSTEM';'VIEW';'20130619';'00232359';(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);;x'0000000000000381';(null);(null);(null);(null)

'';'SUPERDBA';'VERSION';'SEL+';'SYNONYM';'SYNONYM';'20130619';'00232359';(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);(null);;x'0000000000000382';(null);(null);(null);(null)

So why am I not able to run any DB-related transaction ... ??

Thanks a lot!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

let me start with the 2) issue related to the Log area.

2) Which is actually more interesting... I turned off the logging, but the size of the file in

/sapdb/log/<SID> didn't change at all, like I didn't do nothing. Even after starting the DB.

How could I reduce its size and regain the space that it is using ?

Notice if youi switch off the log writer the log volume still exists and belong to a valid database configuration. Savepoints are flushing the data area from cachhe to the disk. The savepoint number and the restart record is stored addittionally on the Log area even when there is no archive logging activated.

So the configured size of the log area is still allocated even when there is no log writer activated. With the note I told you about Logging you'll find the inforamtion how to reduce the size of the Log area. Please never remote the log area file. Then you won't get the database into online mode.

1) issue -> here I cannot tell you any detailes --9209 KB log error can have different reason. To get closer to the reaosn for that a detailed analysis of the log files -> knlMsg, knlMsgArchive and dbm.prt is necessary. This I think is not possible via chat. May be you can open an OSS ticket about this issue

I did not get what you mean with you cannot execute any DB-related transaction - you told us you'll get short dumps in st04 etc.

The short dump points to table version - but this table is avaialble in your system.

Can you tell us which SAP basis Version you installed and which database version exactly you are using. May be to run the database related transactions sucessfully you need to isntall Basic support packages additionally.

Regards, Christiane

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo Christiane and thanks for replying so quick!

1) issue - forget, I have a backup, I don't care

2) I only care that this log file won't grow more and increase the size of my VM. I checked the note you sent me, but I didn't figure out how to really decrease the size of this file

3) I believe you've got me wrong here. No dump is being generated. When I type DB02 or ST04 or ...

at the bottom line on my SAP GUI I am getting the following error in red "Table versions not found in the database"

I receive a dump when I try to execute DB13. It says, it couldn't find the table DOMAIN.VERSIONS. So, obviously this table is the culprit of all the trouble!

So I went to SE11 to check for it, and it is NOT there !! I do have a table VERSION, it is visible, but no VERSIONS. Though the select returned a value!! Hence, I believe my problem is a discrepancy between the DB dictionary and the ABAP dictionary, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

And it's not caused by an error during the installation, as I installed the system twice and on both installations I have the same problem!

I am using MaxDB 7.6 and SAP_BASIS 640 SP9

Thanks for your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

2) I only care that this log file won't grow more and increase the size of my VM. I checked the note you sent me, but I didn't figure out how to really decrease the size of this file -> the size of the log file is related to the log configuration. When you installed the database you were configuring the space for the log file -> check with Database Analyzer your log configuration -> log area - here you'll find the size you configured for your log area.

You can use Q&A number 8 of the log note 869267 to decrease the size of the log area.

3) table DOMAIN.VERSIONS - is a database system table which is not available in SAP data Dictionary - it is not a mismatch between SAP DDIC and Database. It looks like the CCMS ABAP coding is not correct for database version 7.6 -> please check as Christian already wrote note 382312 - check which basis support package you are using ->

SAP MaxDB Version 7.6:

The adjustments are provided in Basis Support Package 10.

is necessary to run 640 with MaxDb version 7.6.

Regards, Christiane

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

DANKE, Christiane !!

This solved the problem !!! Thank GOD I had to install only one SP, which turned out to be really cumbersome, as the import wasn't starting and I was getting some ridiculous tp errors. Here is the

solution, in case somebody shall stumble over this too:

cd /usr/sap/trans/bin and execute tp connect SID pf=TP_DOMAIN_SID.PFL

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

you are using NetWeaver 2004.

Which database version do you use?

Please check note Note 382312 - CCMS for SAP systems with SAP MaxDB >= 7.2 (7.2,..., 7.9)

if you have to update your supportpackages.

Best regards

Christian

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

How do you execute SQL command ? which use you using ?

Regards,

Deepak Kori