cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Comm. Channel question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I've got a question about RFC scenario's.

<b><u>This is the situation:</u></b>

In a scenario "A" i use a comm. channel called RFC_Receiver, but in scenario "B" i also use this comm. channel to send data to R/3 from XI.

Scenario "A" has an integration process which called a function module in R/3 using the comm. channel.

The function module in R/3 has been edited and now has an extra export parameter (response of the module). I imported the RFC again in XI, so the new structure is known and can be used in the mapping. When using the new structure by sending a document through the integration process, we first have to set the comm. channel RFC_Receiver to INACTIVE. Then set it to ACTIVE. I've been told that this has to be done, if not it will still run with the old structure. (see question 1 below)

Now, when i transport all the changes to the production system, scenario B also will try to use RFC_Receiver. Now i have to set it to inactive and then to active (see above situation). So when i set it to inactive, i expect Scenario B to generate errors when it has to process a message. (see question 2 below)

<b>Now my questions:</b>

<b>1.</b> Do i really need to set the Comm. Channel RFC_Receiver to inactive, then activate it, set it to active and again activate it?

<b>2.</b> RFC_Receiver is an object used by scenario A and scenario B. When i set it to inactive for scenario A, will it also be set to inactive for scenario B? (i think it will, because it is 1 object)

Can anyone help me clear out these questions? It will me much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Marcel Leeraar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, when reading your answer for question 1, the issue at question 2 won't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for the reply.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From tthe RFC adapter FAQ

<i>Q 5: What's about cache memories within the RfcAdapter?

A: The RfcAdapter has a cache for the metadata of function modules. This means it caches the definition of function modules, structures and other datatypes. A separate cache is used for each communication channel. When the particular data is needed during runtime, the cache is filled from the configured RFC metadata repository. Once if a particular metadata has entered the cache, only this one is used and no lookups to the RFC metadata repository are made for this type of metadata. If the communication channel is changed within the Integration Directory and gets replicated to the appropriate Adapter Engine (see Environment -> Cache Notifications...), this metadata cache is cleared. The caches for all communication channels are cleared when the J2EE Engine is restarted, the RfcAdapter J2EE Service 'SAP XI Adapter: RFC' is restarted or a dependend J2EE Service is restarted ('SAP XI AF CPA Cache', 'SAP XI AF Messaging').</i>

After making the change in your RFC , reason you need to deactivate and activate the RFC adapter is that the RC metadata needs to be cleared from the Cache so that the new RFC metadata is used by the RC adapter.

Regards

Bhavesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marce,

Do i really need to set the Comm. Channel RFC_Receiver to inactive, then activate it, set it to active and again activate it?

you dont require it .As you said above you inactivated and activated the RFC adapter this done because to avoid cach problems. so some might have suggested you to do it.

RFC_Receiver is an object used by scenario A and scenario B. When i set it to inactive for scenario A, will it also be set to inactive for scenario B? (i think it will, because it is 1 object)

As you are using same communicationcahnel in both if inactive once it reflects both if active it refelects both.

Regards

Sreeram.G.Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

<i>1. Do i really need to set the Comm. Channel RFC_Receiver to inactive, then activate it, set it to active and again activate it?</i> - No you dont need to do this thing......

<i>2. RFC_Receiver is an object used by scenario A and scenario B. When i set it to inactive for scenario A, will it also be set to inactive for scenario B? (i think it will, because it is 1 object)</i> - Yes, once an object is inactive, it is inactive for all the scenarios.

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

Message was edited by:

RAJEEV GUPTA