SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Date or Posting Date for payments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am preparing BW reports for a utility company. In order to show payment types such as credit card, EFT, bank payments I have taken the Value Date into consideration. But the company wants to see these payments according to the posting date.

Do you think using posting date will cause any risk in the long run?

PS: I am new to the community so please let me know if this discussion is posted on a wrong section.

Thanks in advance,

Merih

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raviahuja
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Merih,

Posting Date for Payments is date when Payment document is posted in SAP. This is normally the date the document is posted in SAP.

Value Date is the date when the payment was actually received or paid by Customer.

E.g. Due date for an invoice was 28.06.2013. Customer went to a Payment Agency and made payment on 24.06.2013 itself. But this payment agency sent the payment to company on 27.06.2013 and was posted in SAP on 27.06.2013.

So in this case, Posting date of the payment would be 27.06.2013 while the value date of payment would be 24.06.2013.

About your question if using Posting date would cause any issues any long run. I don't see any!!. It all depends on what business wants to see at end of day. So no issues in using Posting date in your query.

Regards,

Ravi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

raviahuja
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Merih,

Posting Date for Payments is date when Payment document is posted in SAP. This is normally the date the document is posted in SAP.

Value Date is the date when the payment was actually received or paid by Customer.

E.g. Due date for an invoice was 28.06.2013. Customer went to a Payment Agency and made payment on 24.06.2013 itself. But this payment agency sent the payment to company on 27.06.2013 and was posted in SAP on 27.06.2013.

So in this case, Posting date of the payment would be 27.06.2013 while the value date of payment would be 24.06.2013.

About your question if using Posting date would cause any issues any long run. I don't see any!!. It all depends on what business wants to see at end of day. So no issues in using Posting date in your query.

Regards,

Ravi

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Merih,

Posting date is the date where in the accounting entries are getting booked and realised in the system.All the SAP standard reports are mainly based on the posting date and not on the value date.

Say for ex, customer made a payment on 29th June and you receive and post it into SAP on 1st July.

So, if your report is based on value date, then it will show up in the June balances, where as it was realized in the month of July.

This can lead to discrepancy from a reconciliation purpose.

Hence, I would recommend you to base the report on posting date rather than value date.

Hope it helps...

Thanks,

Amlan