cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just want to run a simple servlet. No EJBs, no Web DynPro...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how run a simple servlet in Netweaver Developer Studio.

I have the J2EE engine installed locally.

Everything I'm finding deals with using Web Dynpro or using EJBs.

Problem is, that we have a ton of servlet & JSP-based apps that we need to port to Netweaver. Although, we are going to be exploring Web Dynpro for new apps we need these existing apps to just run as servlets and JSPs.

I can't find any instructions on running/testing that kind of application locally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

To run a servlet, you need a Web Container, which is on the Web AS. Therefore, you always have to deploy the application on the Web AS. In case you have servlets or JSPs only, you create a web module project where you create the servlets/JSPs, then include the web module project into an Enterprise application project and deploy the EAR on your local test Web AS. Later on, if you need to make further changes to your servlets/JSPs, you can do them in the Developer Studio, update the WAR and JAR files and after deployment, you end up with updated EAR on the Web AS. Another possibility is to use the Single File update function of the deploy service on the Web AS: <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/be/052d57d30170458487137358c080c2/frameset.htm">Updating a Single File</a>

As far as migration of applications is concerned, I'd recommend that you read about the <a href="https://media.sdn.sap.com/html/submitted_docs/sap_j2ee_migration_kit_webpages/index.html">J2EE Migration Kit</a> that gives directions when porting apps. Also, AFAIK, they were about to rollout some plugins for the Developer Studio to facilitate the migration process (however, not sure about the progress - I'd have to get info from responsibles). And last but not least - there is a dedicated forum:

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create servlets in the J2EE perspective of the netweaver studio.

Open the J2EE perspective->new web Module project

On the project folder you get the options of new servlet .

Do send in your feedbacks

Regards

Noufal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Noufal,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.

I've been able to write a servlet. My problem was figuring out how to test it on my local J2EE engine.

Thanks

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Were you able to figure out how to test servlet on my Local J2EE engine ?

I created a web module project in which I created a servlet.

then I created a Enterprise application and aded the Web Module and deployed.

Now how to test it ??

Regards,

Poonam.