cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI FOR HIDPI (RETINA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Will there be support for hidpi displays for windows version of SAP LOGON?

Now the screen looks so tiny and it s hardly possible to work with it.

Resizing the font doesn´t help a lot.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Oleg,

SAPGUI was designed to accommodate displays with a minimum of 800x600 screens.

There are still many users with this display criteria.

We still have to take the minimum requirements into account for all users.

The final say is with the application colleagues,not the SAPGUI itself,which only displays

the information.

Refer to the attached notes:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/26417

and

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/525936

Best Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jude.

Just wanted to know if it´s in the plans of the company. Scalable programs that run both on normal and hidpi displays are nowadays common. Most companies provide their products being fully adapted to hidpi or in emulation mode.

I want to add even JAVA SAP LOGON can perfectly run in hidpi mode. For me it was strange that WINDOWS version can not.

Kind regards,

Oleg

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Oleg,

text in SAP GUI for Java is taking advantage of Retina on Mac on the old Apple JVM (1.6). Java 7 from Oracle does not support optimized rendering for retina. The latest Early Access version of Java 8 comes with support for retina and text in SAP GUI for Java looks great. It is planned to support Java 8 with SAP GUI for Java 7.40.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good news!

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Year passed from the moment, when Oleg asked his question.

More and more users now are working on high-res and/or high-dpi displays.

And now not only bootcamped MacBooks but also "native" Windows supporters (like DELL, HP, Lenovo) have such displays:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/735500-list-very-high-res-h...

The same is true for desktop monitors - some of them have 4K resolutions.

Nevertheless nothing changed in SAPGUI with regard to support such resolutions. Working with SAP applications on high-end laptops and high-end displays is awfully unpleasant. SAP screens are either blurry (when 200% scaling is enabled in Windows) or way too small (when native resolution without scaling is used).

But 2880x1800 screen working in high-dpi mode provides very "real" logical screen size of only 1440x900 dots! So no one is asking to redraw all dynpro to accomodate high resolutions.

The things which are really needed from next release of SAP GUI: high-dpi (double resolution) icons, same textures and high-dpi aware fonts rendering.

Hope SAP can solve this with either patch for GUI 7.30 or in upcoming 7.40.

Regards,

Petr Perstnev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally! SAP Note 2022335 says, that 7.40 now supports DPI scaling/awareness.

Pity though, my new corporate DELL notebook screen is so poor in comparison to my own MacBook w/Retina (and BYOD for notebooks is not allowed), that I can't even check how this works on high res screens.

Who tested it? Is it good?

Regards,

Petr Perstnev

0 Kudos

Hello!

I have faced the same issue.

The problem is solved in 7.40 starting from Patch level 2 as written in the 2022335 Note.

Base 7.40 Patch 0 doesn't work well on MacBook. I have currently installed the last available now Patch 4 and it seems to be working pretty fine (acceptable at least) on my MacBook Pro 15'' with Retina.

Best wishes,

Anton

0 Kudos

After one day of using SAP GUI 7.4 Patch 4 on my Retina Macbook I have to say with huge regret that I hate it. Blinking screens, buggy AltTabbing and lots of other glitches.

I have no other choice than to return to my old PC.

I can only hope the day will come when SAP finally hires a strong programmers team to solve this shameful issue.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This is a known issue out of our control and are filing a bug with Oracle - see

Jude

0 Kudos

Hi, Jude

I've been using SAP GUI for Java some time ago and stopped because of missing ABAP code highlighting and so on.

Here in this topic I'm talking about SAP GUI for Windows which I'm trying to use on my Mac under virtual machine with Windows installed on it.

Still no satisfaction.

Best wishes,

Anton

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Anton,

regarding ABAP development on Mac, you might want to consider the Eclipse based ABAP IDEs.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

With several limitations we face with SAP GUI on Mac, it is still feasible for MacBook users to have bootcamp. It not only brings ability to use native GUI with all of its bells and whistles, but also Windows versions of MS Office/Excel (which means BEx) and some graphical elements, which are ActiveX based.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

SAPgui for WIndows 7.40 patch 4 should support the HIDPI.

See note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2106323 - SAP GUI for Windows: DPI scaling of the Windows will be supported 

Regards,

Jude

Answers (0)