cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.3 B2B add-on : Does it bridge the gap?

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

From my experience implementing EDI scenarios using SAP PI 7.0\7.1 and Item Field Conversion Agent

I have come into some major gaps that weren't addressed or resolved by SAP.

Please share with me  - does these features are now fully supported in the new B2B add-on.

1. Archiving erroneous files  - When ItemField bumped into a "Critical error"  during the parsing of an inbound file the standard AE behavior was expected to "kick-in" and move the file into the Error folder (like happening in the standard File with content conversion scenario).this was not the case and workarounds had to be implemented.
  2. EDI batch - a common scenario in real-life : ItemField didn't support that out of the box and amendments to the standard library had to be implemented. expected to have an option of sending the whole batch in a file or split per EDI.
  3. EDI Schema validation - took place inside the ItemField code. not allowing the usage of the common component of SAP PI supporting Schema validation in AE or IS and though not addressing the Validation errors as part of the common SAP PI behavior.
  4. EDI field names - Item Field (following a request by some partners to minimize xml message size) has abandon the usage of a full element name and changes the EDI\X12 Libraries into a 3 character naming. this made the solution implementation cumbersome during mapping development

and less clear during error reporting.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nimrod,

You can archive files using low-scale message archiving or use the standard functionality within communication channels.

In case the file is corrupt and cannot be processed by the adapter, you cannot archive it.

But you should really mess up a file to get it blocked on adapter level.

Just make sure you produce an acknowledgement to send back to the original message sender. They have to correct the file and offer it again to the SAP PI system.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Nimrod,

just out of interest...is there any specific reason why you have previously used "Item Field Conversion Agent" for such EDI scenarios ?

I am just asking, since the gaps that you mentioned had also been addressed previously when SAP introduced the Seeburger EDI-Adapters some years ago.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Kind Regards

Stefan

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please contact me on  nimrodg@gmail.com.

Will elaborate and keep customer discretion.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Nimrod,

Let me try to give you some more information.

1. As soon a corrupt EDI interchange enters the system, you can generate a negative CONTRL message or you can reject the interchange. That behaviour you can determine yourself.

2. Within the B2B add-on, a new adapter called EDIseparator adapter is introduced performing splitting, message routing, structure checks and much more. This adapter will definitely cover all your requirements.

3. The same for validating the message structure. Also in this case, you can use the EDISeparator adapter. Standard SAP PI feature XML validation can also be used in this case, but better to use the EDISeparator for this one.

4. Within the B2B add-on, a new tool called the B2B Integration Cockpit is introduced. Here you can import content, modify it, test structures, convert from and to EDI and XML etc.

Conclusion: the new B2B add-on from SAP definitely covers your gap(s)!

Anyway, feel free to take a look at the community B2B Integration with SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration for more information around the B2B add-on and B2B integration using SAP PI/PO.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Dimitri.

Appriciate your inputs here.It all sounds very promissing.

Still , can you provide answers to these questions?

1. Archive error files after processing (not related to 997 or CONTROL message in response)

2.EDI elemnt name in scehmas.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nimrod,

I can honestly say that the B2B add-on SP1 is ready for productive scenarios. It really has all the features you need.

Also very nice is the availability of technical and functional acknowledgements and B2B messages. All this is integrated in the existing SAP PI message monitor. So no need for extra tools to log on to.

Just some screenshots to give you an idea:

For archiving purposes, you can use low-scale message archiving

• Specific adapter module and archiver java mapping available
  • Archive the structure you want, where on disk you want
  • For inbound and outbound messages
  • Correlation between EDI message ID and IDOC number. For this item, please have a look at my document on http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42131

What do you mean with EDI element name in schemas?

When you generate an XSD within the B2B Integration Cockpit, it looks like this (after import into the ESR). The red box indicates the message type and version.

Is it this what you mean?

Kind regards,

Dimitri

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitri,

regarding element names - yes this is what I was looking for.

regarding file archiving - I meant a physical archiving of the original EDI flat file

from the source directory to a different directory after Adapter Engine failed to process the file. (Unless the new B2B module has similar functionality that workaround the AE functionality ...which I debut)