cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item categories and document types - which one has priority?

corinne_stevens
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I've learned that Item categories get assigned to an item category type.  Let’s say that the type includes SPL and Embargo, and excludes Legal control check. A document type also gets assigned to a document. Let’s says that that document includes all 3 GTS checks.

My question is: when that particular document is raised for that item category, what checks will then be performed? Does the document type settings overrule the item category settings or the other way around?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Corinne,

Both the Document Type and the Item Category must be set up for each service (and for each Legal Regulation).  If one of them is not activated, then the corresponding check will not be performed.

I don't think there are any "overlapping" settings between Document Type and Item Category.

Regards,

Dave

corinne_stevens
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Dave,

Mmmh, sounds odd to me that there is no priority off one above the other. Why are we then assigning both the item categories and the document types to SPL and Legal control and Embargo? They could be exactly the opposite. I could set up an item category that I don't assign to Embargo. And us that on a document that I did assign to Embargo. So what would happen then?

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Corinne,

To answer your second question there; as I said before, you must assign both the Document Type and Item Category to get the service active for that combination.  You assign the Document and Item Cat. for different reasons.  The header-level assignment allows you to use different GTS Document Types (perhaps for reporting reasons, or choice of "follow-on function"), and the item-level assignment allows you to specify different Depreciation Levels.

You can use the combinations to your advantage.  For example, you might want generally to check a Document Type for Legal Control, but see no point in checking Packaging items - so you would simply not map that Item Category to a GTS type that was activated for Legal Control.

Does it start to make sense?

Regards,

Dave

corinne_stevens
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes it does!  Thanks Dave!

dean_hinson2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hell Dave,

So, I am clear...

If document type does NOT have legal control, but line item category does have Legal Control, Legal Control will not be performed?

Is this correct?

Regards, Dean.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

My understanding is that,

Document type must be activated for legal control so that item category checks can be done.

Item category has precedence over document type.

For example, an order has 2 line items. Hardware (HW)and Service item(S).

Document type must be activated for legal control . Item category for HW type must be activated so that legal control for HW is performed.

Item category for Software need not to be activated so that legal control for software is not performed.

Thanks and Regards,

Raj

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

Sorry for a late response - busy times!

I checked the program code. If the Document Type is not activated for Legal Control, then no checks are made. The Item Category is only considered if the Document Type is activated.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Dave

dean_hinson2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Dave,

Understood. Definitely plate is full.

Thank you for making it clear to me.

Regards, Dean.