cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing SAP DCs after creating an NWDI track by using the Configuration Wizard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've run the configuration wizard "DI Change Management Service (CMS): Create an Application Skeleton" on a BPM runtime system (NW 7.31 SP06) to create an NWDI track for my BPM project. I accordingly chose the "BPM application 7.3" configuration template to set the needed dependencies and to copy the necessary SAP SCAs to the NWDI track.

When I tried it the first time the SAP BPEM software components were empty. They didn't contain any DCs. So I imported them manually into the NWDI track.

Unfortunately this track got corrupted when checking in the first sources. So I deleted the track in the CMS, all software components and products in the SLD and all repositories in the DTR.

But when running the configuration wizard "DI Change Management Service (CMS): Create an Application Skeleton" again not only the BPEM SCs are empty but all of the SAP software components. None of them contains any DCs.

I don't want to manually add all the missing SCAs to the track as this is what the wizard is made for.

So what's the problem with this wizard? What's going wrong?

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Robert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Robert,

this is perhaps a misunderstanding. When you run that wizard, it creates only the track configuration (a.k.a development configuration), and not the content. Meaning it adds your custom software metadata and all the dependant SCs that are having build time dependencies. I believe this is why the the wizard refers to application skeleton and configuration template.

After that the SCs have to be checked in Transport Studio of CMS (Check-in tab), and have to be Imported into development and consolidation. Once it finished succesfully you can start your NWDS and import the corresponding Development Configuration. Else the SCs will be displayed as if they were empty because it only sees the track config itself (created by the wizard) and no DCs will be displayed inside since without import in cms webui, basically there is no place to sync from. Once in cms webui each SC imports finished succesfully , and you restart NWDS, then you will be able to sync the DCs since this time the buildspaces are filled up.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

thanks for your reply.

One more question just to make sure I understand it right.

I can run this wizard directly from NWDI devinf. In this case for sure I have to add all the SCAs to the CMS inbox and import them into the track.

But I can also run this wizard on the runtime system where my application is running. In this case as I understand it the wizard provides the necessary SCAs (the right ones from the actually used runtime system), copies them to CMS inbox and imports them into the newly created track. I think this worked well for some of the SAP SCs when I tried to create the track using the wizard for the first time. CMS inbox was completely empty at this time.

So the second case is my misunderstanding? The wizard can't copy SCAs to the CMS inbox? Even when running it from a runtime system?

Best regards,

Robert

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

yes,you are right, I also just ran the wizard to refresh my memory. I usually do everything manually as I like to see what happens under the hood, and this was what misled me this case. A reversed example from real life: It is like when I use GPS in my car for a long time, then by the time I forget street names, and I realize sooner or later I almost don't even find the way back home, only when using GPS

I made a small research on this which again states what you also described:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/44/60dc1943c2311ce10000000a155369/frameset.htm

But this description is vague for me.

In my tests I experienced the same what you did, that no check-in and no import of SCs took place at all. I ran it on my nwdi system but I had all the SCs in my cms inbox, so I assume every preconditions were set.

The import wizard tells it will do an import, while in my tests no import took place, and I saw no errors, not even a single warning.

Step 12 of the wizard says though:

The template now starts the creation of tracks, registering of new software components, and the import of software component archives into the Change Management Server.
The process runs unattended. No further input is required.
Depending on the number and size of archives this process may take a considerable amount of time. You can monitor the progress and result in the CMS Transport Studio.

It only says it "imports SCAs to CMS" (If it imports to cbs and dtr I would have expected some similar statement from the wizard), but since it mentions that the import may take longer based on the size of the SCA, it tells me we are talkink about the SCA files physically, and not only about metadata so I would expect it means really import into dtr and cbs.

So now I have to clarify what exactly import is meant here as it is a bit contradictive and vague for me at this point.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

I re-ran the wizard (on my nwdi system) and this time when it was requesting for the transport folder, I saw that it is taking the folder from the domain data as it is. In my case it was D:\usr\sap\JTrans

and I expected that it will add \CMS\inbox to the end, but it did not. I checked the details of the step Register Software Component Archives (this is basically the check-in step) and I saw that it finished succesfully, so I was wondering what I did wrong. Then I talked to a colleague of mine from development and he suggested to add \CMS\inbox in that wizard step so I changed the field Check-in Directory from D:\usr\sap\JTrans to D:\usr\sap\JTrans\CMS\inbox and it worked! It Checked in the software and also imported to Development buildspace as expected.

If you run the wizard on a Runtime system though, then of course it is recommended to make sure you have the SCs in the folder pointed out by the field that will be available once you press the checkbox Upload Software Component Archives. If you click on that checkbox, you will see it adds an extra folder to the end of the EPS/in folder like D:\usr\sap\trans/EPS/in/CMS<hostname><NWDI domain>. Make sure this folder exists, and the SCAs are there, or simply delete this folder from the inputfield, so only D:\usr\sap\trans/EPS/in remains in that field, because most likely your SCAs are available only in the EPS/in.

If it is still not working, then I know it might sound weird but make a test adding here \CMS\inbox and test again (I did not test this case). We try to make a fix for this in the next release, however I cannot make any promises since there are multiple workarounds for this (even you can bypass this wizard and do it manually) and therefore the priority of this change is low.

Still I hope this helps and with the hints I provided you can make it work.

Keep me posted about the outcome.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

thanks again for your help.

I don't have an NWDI test system at the moment to re-ran the wizard on it.

On the customer infrastructure I'm using right now the upload folder is empty so the wizard can't copy any SCA to the CMS inbox. And as I don't have access to the upload folder on the runtime system I can't put the necessary SCAs there.

In the meantime I've added all the necessary SCAs manually to the CMS inbox and imported them into the NWDI track. That worked fine.

And as soon as I have an NWDI test system I will test the wizard there. But with your hints I guess it will work like it did on your system.

Thanks and best regards,

Robert

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Robert,

ok, sounds like a plan, thanks for coming back to me with this. If I can assist in this in the future let me know.

Thanks and Regards, 😉

Ervin

Answers (0)